85 Riviera- no Heat

Guest buickman1985

Guest buickman1985

I have heard that since my climate control is flashing and I know my heater core is good, that the reason I don't get heat is because my Water valve coming out of the engine is not opening. How can I fix this or diagnose if this is the even the problem? I can go without heat, but I love this car and want to keep everthing working. Any help would be appreciated. You can contact me directly if you want @ buickman1985@aol.com.

thanks

Guest merrillcrosbie

A flashing light on your climate control means something has failed. If all is working properly nothing flashes. One way to test the valve on your heater is to have someone alternate max heat and max cold while you watch the valve on your heater hose. You can see it turning back and forth if it is working correctly. If it doesn't turn the valve may be stuck, or the solenoid that turns it may have failed. If it is not turning, you can try taking the solenoid off of the valve and turning the valve manually and see if you get heat. One thing I have noticed is that these heaters are weak even when working properly. Mine sometimes doesn't feel like there is heat, but it eventually warms up.

Also, is the air being directed to the correct place based on your selection? A blinking climate control can mean a door is not moving to the proper position so the air isn't going where it is suppose to. Maybe the air isn't being directed to the heater core?

Edited by merrillcrosbie (see edit history)

Yeah I would say water valve........hard part to find. I have three 85 Rivieras and all three have great heat and air. I have a best practice is to turn the climate control off before you turn the car off and let the door close. I leave mine on 72-74 and it is perfect never have to adjust it. Buickman1985 where are you from?

Guest buickman1985

I am from Chicago area. I moved the water valve manually and got heat. The electric control does not seem to work. The motor works but it does not move without bypass. Probably something to do with the control module I just left the valve partially open so I have a little heat if I need it but the air still works good