external oil filter

Guest traumjaeger

Guest traumjaeger

Hi all,I'm new to the site and this is my first question. I own a 1937 Canadian built Pontiac P224 which is basically a chevy in disguise. I would like to fit an external oil filter to the straight six stovebolt engine. Is this an easy job to do and are there kits available that one can buy?Many thanks Traumjaeger

Hi all,I'm new to the site and this is my first question. I own a 1937 Canadian built Pontiac P224 which is basically a chevy in disguise. I would like to fit an external oil filter to the straight six stovebolt engine. Is this an easy job to do and are there kits available that one can buy?Many thanks Traumjaeger

Do you have the OHV Chev engine or the flathead Pontiac? The Pontiac had a built in filter, I don't know if you could fit an external filter.

Chevrolet offered the external filter as an accessory. Other companies like Purolator, Wix, and Fram offered them as well. Millions were made and they turn up at flea markets all the time. Replacement filter elements are still available, the same filters are used on tractors, stationary engines etc.

The Chev ones I am familiar with are from the fifties. They clamp on the intake manifold. Not hard to find in the US, in the UK I don't know. What did Bedfords and Vauxhalls use? They were GM products with 6 cylinder engines, they might have something you could use.

Guest traumjaeger

Hi Rusty, Thanks for the reply. It has the Chevy ohv engine. I forgot about Bedfords and Vauxhall being GM products and it gives me some place to start. Not many Vauxhalls or Bedfords around over here from that period, but I suppose the later one's will fit as I don't think the engines changed much. Just need to find out now how to fit one. Thanks T

The filters were very much the same and were sold as an add on accessory by various makers. You want one with the small lines on it. I don't remember the exact size but they were smaller than a pencil. This is the "partial flow" filter. Some engines had an add on "full flow" filter with much larger lines a bit bigger than a pencil.

Recently I got a remote partial flow filter off an old fork lift truck in a junk yard. It may be that they are still sold by industrial supply outfits.

Consult a repair manual for proper installation, there is a little more to it than just bolting one on.

You might also get a genuine Chev one from the US or Canada, on one of the old car web sites or the well known auction site. I have a few but don't think I have a Chev one.

Guest traumjaeger

Thanks fellas. Gives me something to work on and as soon as the swap meets start I can start looking for some parts.Traum.

Guest Des Rosvall

Hi traumjaeger,

you could try cummins as they use fleet guard filters and housings ( cummins own fleet guard) we used to buy a lot of components off them a lot depends on the man at the parts counter

good luck ! Des Rosvall London U.K.

Guest traumjaeger

Hi Guys, I have now located an external oil filter canister for my car. I now need to know how to plumb it in. All I can see is the oil pressure relief valve housing. Does it go into there? Does anyone out there have any info or photos on how to do this? Thanks in advance T

post-92501-143141879357_thumb.jpg

Guest Commodore

Yes, I posted info on how to connect a oil filter in my earlier post. Click on the link marked Shovebolt Tech Tip. Then go to the bottom of page to the section marked "Instruction Sheets". Click on the "S-1 Instructions" pages 1 and 2.