51 Mercury V-8 flathead overheating.

Guest landfillwiz

Guest landfillwiz

I am the maintenance person for a 1951 that the love of my life owns. Her late husband rebuilt everything on the car back in 1980. The problem I have run into is that the car is hard starting after it get hot and the engine temperature runs very high. I have had the radiator removed, cleaned and tested and everything is fine. I thing I have an ignition problem with the timing too far advanced. How do you time the V-8 flathead? I think this may solve the starting problem and the overheating problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

The 51 Mercury has a Loadamatic distributor and it should be set up on a distributor machine. The distributor uses a combination of springs and vacuum to advance the initial timing. The springs need to be calibrated on a distributor machine by an experienced operator. The vacuum line and advance unit must be in good shape. Once the distributor has been calibrated, the initial timing is set with the vacuum line removed. The initial setting is with the idle speed set at 400-500 rpm, turn the distributor so that no 1 cylinder fires at 2 degrees BTC.

Here is a link to a vacuum gauge diagnostic chart that will help you decide if you have other problems with the engine causing your overheating.

How to Use and Interpret a Vacuum Gauge

Some of the other causes of overheating are: Plugged exhaust, combustion leaks into the cooling system, valve timing and worn out impellers on the water pumps.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)