glass templates

Guest Dunc126

Guest Dunc126

Does anyone happen to have window templates for a 1930 Commander? I’m looking for all the windows, but especially the windshield and front and rear side windows. I have access to a large format printer, so printing them off shouldn’t be a problem, assuming I can get the scale right.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan

Many glass companies can still get the patterns. In a pinch, you can call Andy Beckman, archivist at the Studebaker National Museum, and ask him to print out the full-size blueprints for you. The museum will charge you for the service, but it's not too bad. But, no, they will not send you a computer file of the drawing. You just need the part numbers for the glass.

Guest Dunc126

Thanks Gary, I've called a few glass companies, but no one around here seems to have access to the patterns. I might just reach out to the SNM and see what they can offer. Any clue where I can find the part numbers? I have chassis manual, but it doesn’t seem to list the part numbers for the glass.

Thanks again.

My 1929-40 Body Parts Catalog shows the safety glass versions for 1930 Model 70 Commander:

Front glass: p/n 242365, also fits models GJ, FD, FH, and 70

Rear glass: p/n 242367, also fits models GJ, FD, FE, FH, 70

Windshield: p/n 251168, also fits models 80 and 90.

There are plate glass versions, but you probably don't want those.

You didn't say what body style you have. These numbers mostly apply to 4-door sedans, though there didn't seem to be numbers for Model 70 cars in other body styles.

You can probably buy a reprint of the body parts catalog from Faxon Auto Literature.

Guest Dunc126

Thanks again Gary and studerex, mine is an FD, four door sedan, so it looks like the side windows would be the same.