61 rambler classic 6

Guest rambintom

Guest rambintom

Hey guys,, I just bought a rambler classic 6 which may have a froze motor, my question is, how do i get tourque convertor bolts out to seperate motor from trans to see what is the problem if I cant turn motor ?

"May have" froze motor? Why not be sure first? Check the crankcase for oil, take out the spark plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders, and let it soak for a few days. Then try to turn the motor by hand. If you can turn it 2 or 3 full turns, try turning it over with the starter. Cover the spark plug holes with a rag, the oil can fly pretty far lol. If it will turn over on the starter, and it has compression, you should be able to get it running.

Some automatic transmission fluid thinned out with varsol or diesel makes a good penetrating oil for the cylinders.

You could take the valve cover off while you are at it and make sure the valves are not stuck. One way to do this, is oil the valves and tap the end of the rocker with a hammer. Not too hard just a light tap with a small hammer. If the hammer bounces back the valve and spring are working. If it hits with a thud and doesn't bounce that valve may be stuck.

If the motor really is froze up you can take the engine and trans out together and separate them on the shop floor.

Guest rambintom

Thanks, Oil is good, I sprayed cyl. with oil a week ago and tried yesterday to turn with a breaker bar, no go.

I guess maybe I'm trying to avoid pulling motor at this point. Was hoping to seperate motor and trans to eliminate any problems that way.

I'm unfamiliar with the bush button trans. and was wondering if maybe it's stuck in gear possibly holding the motor ?

These push button trans. How are the operated ? electric? I've yet to get a manual.

I also have the stater out so I know this is not an issue.

The trans won't hold the motor if it is automatic. The torque converter will always let the engine turn over (idle) even in gear.

Not sure how Rambler connected their pushbutton trans. Chrysler used cables like a choke cable only heavier. Edsel and Packard were electric. I suspect Rambler used cables but don't know, if you look under the car or under the hood, you should soon see if it has cables or electric wires.

With the starter out can you pry on the flywheel with a pry bar or big screw driver? If the engine won't budge the last resort is to take the head off. This will soon tell you if the cylinders are rusted up or if they were scored by engine failure in the past.

A friend of mine had almost the same model, a 1959 pink Rambler sedan with a 6 cylinder. The engine was frozen when he got it. 1 or 2 of the cylinders were a little rusty, just enough to make the rings stick.

He took the pan off, took out all the pistons, honed the cylinders, installed new rings, and put everything back together WITHOUT taking the engine out of the car. I think while he was at it, he took the head to a machine shop and had the valves done.

When he was finished it ran like a brand new car, did not burn oil or make any funny noises. He sold it to another friend who is still driving it 5 years later.

So, if the engine is truly froze up I suggest you start by taking the head off. It may not be as bad to fix as you think. I might add, my friend was an experienced mechanic so the job didn't worry him a bit. But, the Rambler six is a very simple, and tough engine. If you get a manual and do a careful job you shouldn't have any trouble. I think it cost my friend under $500 for gaskets, rings, getting the head done, paint, fresh oil, antifreeze, etc.

Do as Rusty said, but also a bearing might locked up on the bottom end. One other thing, do you have a 195 with the aluminum block & cast iron head? Check with VIN (If a B letter, then it was aluminum, if original) and, or, with a magnet. Warpage of the block/head was notorious on these engines. Soak the cylinders in a 50/50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone( Ace Hdwr) for a while & try each day . I believe the trans on the Flash-o-Matic is operated by a vacuum solenoid unit from a tube at the intake manifold.

Edited by rons49 (see edit history)