1930 Studebaker President vacum wiper motor information needed.

Guest stumax

Looking for a place to have my vacuum windshield wiper motors for a 1930 President repaired/restored. If repair kits are available that would be great has well. I have not opened mine up so if someone has a parts brake down that would be a start as well. Thanks for the help.</SPAN>

The wiper motor is pretty simple. There is not much to lose by opening it up. Try not to tear the gasket on top too much and you will probably be OK. Usually they are just gunked up and need a good cleaning and lubrication. I did take apart a motor with shaft bushing damage and also bad pitting in the vaccum chamber due to water getting in there and sitting for a long, long time. Even that one sort-of worked (enough for a car that will rarely see rain). If you don't want to mess with it I have heard good things about WiperMan.

Thanks jpatino, I will check out wiperman.com web site. Also thanks for the information nvonada, if its does not that many small parts a may open one up and see it a good cleaning is all they need.

Thanks again for the help.

No prob. :)

Sometime ago I owned a 1930 President and had a wiper motor that didn't function, took it apart and problem was typical of age. The motor arm was activated by a "paddle" metal plate with a leather piece riveted to it that provided the vacuum seal against the wiper motor arced body. The leather was of course driedup and stiff as wood. Just went to a shoe repair shop and bought a piece of fresh leather, cut it to shape and replaced the dried up piece. Soak it a bit in silicon oil to give it flexibility and it will be good for as long as you own the car.

Stude8