Throttle Vs. throttle

Guest Dunc126

Guest Dunc126

All right, another quick question from a very naïve antique car owner. My 1930 Studebaker Commander FD has dual throttle controls, one on the steering wheel and one via the pedal on the floor. Can anyone explain why one would need two throttle controls? Thanks, Duncan

Because you need the right foot for the starter pedal. My 27 Dictator takes both hands and both feet to start it. Left foot on the clutch pedal, left hand for the choke, right hand for the throttle and right foot on the starter button. :)

Terry

Guest Dunc126

Thanks Terry, I do find myself playing foot/hand bingo when running then engine. Is there any reason to adjust the throttle once you're on the road? It seems like a type of cruse-control. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, this is my first antique car.

Is there any reason to adjust the throttle once you're on the road? It seems like a type of cruse-control. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, this is my first antique car.

Once the engine has been started from cold, get rid of the choke as soon as possible and use the hand throttle to increase engine speed to facilitate quick engine warm up. It can be used on the road as a crude "cruise control". Keeping in mind that it doesn't cancel when you step on the brake!

Terry