63 Riv engine and trans swap to a 65 401 and trans???

Guest PRDDETROIT

Guest PRDDETROIT

Hello everyone,

I am going to be swapping my original engine (401/445 w/dynaflow) to a rebuilt from pan to carb and balanced 65 (401 bored 030 340hp cam and 65 Trans)

I have a question and I'm trying to make sure I cover everything. Its my daily driver and unfortunately it has developed a very slight knock in the lower end.

The car has 117,000 (and change) miles and my best guess is a rod bearing has excess wear. It still holds great oil pressure and I still drive it around just enough so the seals stay in good shape but, It was going to cost me WAY more to rebuild it than what I paid for the 65 engine and trans, which are already done.

The pieces I know I need (I have found and purchasing) A 65- crossmember, 65- shifter and console pieces, 65- trans brake switch, and a 65- front driveshaft.

My questions are:

Are the splines at the back of the 65 driveshaft (Going into the carrier bearing) the same as 63?

And is there anything I am missing to do this correct?

Thank you for any help,

Dave

Edited by PRDDETROIT (see edit history)

Here are some things you need to consider.

The '63 has a dynaflow transmission: Therefore the transmission crossmember is different and sits in a different place, the 63 shifter has detents for PNDLR where as the '65 has PRND2L. The shifters are different, therefore the neutral safety switches are in a different place. The shifter has a longer throw which means the consoles are not the same length. The '63 Dynaflow kickdown is operated by a rod that runs from the carb to the transmission. The '65 TH400 kickdown is electric. You need the carb with appropriate linkage, the kickdown switch, switch bracket, and wiring to make it work. The kickdown is also connected to the brake pedal so that the torque converter goes into high stall when you're standing still. I imagine that the 64 and 65 rear ends are the same. The '63 however is different in the way it connects to the drive shaft. One uses a bolt on flange, the other uses a U-joint. I'm hoping that you got the rest of the '65 car when you bought the engine and transmission. There are lots of pieces you're going to need from it. Good luck.

Ed

• Thanks 1

Guest PRDDETROIT

Thanks for the info Ed. Do you know if the back of the Front driveshaft splines are the same from 63 to 65 where it mates in the carrier bearing? Everything from the center carrier bearing back is staying the same.

Dave