64 Riviera power seat parts?

Moose2

I have questions about my power seat mechanism for the driver's bucket on my '64 Riviera. The gear box driven by the transmission cable to move the seat backwards/forwards needs to be rebuilt or replaced and I have no clue where to go. I'm very sure its the gear box because I've disassembled the seat from the lower bracket/drive assembly, and I've taken the lower bracket assembly (complete) out of the car. I've disconnected the cable that drives the gearbox and I can move the seat mount smoothly back to the limit of the assembly by hand, but it will not move forward without immediately binding. I have carefully checked all parts of the physical track sliders to see if they are binding; they aren't. I could sure use advise because I'm an old barnyard mechanic and I miss things. But assuming I need the gearbox for the front/back track replaced, where do I look? Ebay has nothing I can find. Unless somebody tells me otherwise, I would guess that if the front/back gearbox is shot, the up/down gearbox can't be far behind and I'd be smart to do them both???

Also, I've been reading that it is useful to clean and re-lube the transmission assembly and I intend to do that. I have no idea what to lube it with and would use generic moly grease unless there is a better product?? Also, what general comments or cautions do I need to know before I tear into the transmission unit?

All help and comments gratefully accepted!!!!:cool:

Do you hear anything or feel anything when you engange the button? I had a similar question 2 weeks ago. My seat does not move but I can hear it. I had a few informative replies but it's not warm enough here in PA to work on it. Below is a copy and paste:

I have a 64 Buick Riviera 465. The driver's seat has an electric motor that runs (makes a noise) but does not move the seat in any direction. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks,

Kevin<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

user-offline.png

'63 Riv Tech Advisor jim_cannon.gif?dateline=1273442519

<dl class="userinfo_extra"> <dt>Join Date</dt> <dd>Aug 2006</dd> <dt>Location</dt> <dd>Spring, TX</dd> <dt>Posts</dt> <dd>973</dd> </dl>

[h=2]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: 64 Riviera electric seat motor issues. I need help!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->[/h]

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Kevin-

Look in the 1964 Buick Body Service Manual (not Chassis Service Manual) for a detailed description of how it works, how to take it apart, etc. That's where I found the details for my '63, so I assume Buick has the same info in your '64 Body Manual.

HTH.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

You like this.

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->
Jim

'29 Ford (35-A) and '31 Ford (160-
B)
- MARC and MAFCA

'63 Riviera - ROA #9774

(bottom of the page)

To find a shipper for your car
, check out:

Get personalized service. Deal directly with the guy who will drive the truck moving your stuff.

I have done it twice now and had great results.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

progress.gifclear.gif Reply clear.gif Reply With Quote multiquote_40b.png

2 Weeks Ago #3

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->tenugent<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

user-offline.png

<dl class="userinfo_extra"> <dt>Join Date</dt> <dd>May 2012</dd> <dt>Location</dt> <dd>decatur,il.</dd> <dt>Posts</dt> <dd>146</dd> </dl>

[h=2]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: 64 Riviera electric seat motor issues. I need help!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->[/h]

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->had the same problem with mine-as jim said get body manual-took mine apart and cleaned all tracks- etc.regreased-works great.this problem comes up alot and the solution is ussually just dirty grease buildup over the years.try this and get back with results.make sure when reinstalling you have a good ground.t.nugent roa 12969...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

You like this.

progress.gifclear.gif Reply clear.gif Reply With Quote multiquote_40b.png

2 Weeks Ago #4

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->1965rivgs<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

user-online.png

Senior Member 1965rivgs.gif?dateline=1314072643

<dl class="userinfo_extra"> <dt>Join Date</dt> <dd>Dec 2006</dd> <dt>Posts</dt> <dd>640</dd> </dl>

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Most likely the switch is not engaging the transmission simultaneously with the seat motor or the transmission needs to be disassembled and cleaned due to solidified grease keeping it from engaging. Also, check your black ground wire to be sure it is secured under one of the seat bolts into the floor.

Tom Mooney<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Thanks for the info on the transmission lube. I'm pretty certain my problem is with the gearbox driven by the transmission. I've completely removed the gearbox from the seat track assembly, and it will rotate smoothly in one direction but it locks up when I try to rotate it in the other direction. Before I took out the power seat assembly, I could hear the electric motor try to move the seat; it would click and the motor would strain when I tried to move the seat forward, and it would work OK when I tried to move the seat back. I inspected the track and it was not binding. When I took out the gearbox, it gave me the same symptoms I was observing when the seat was "intact" in the car. It moves in one direction and binds up in the other direction. It appears that the gearbox was not designed to be opened for servicing, so I'm looking for your feedback whether there is a source for new or rebuilt gearboxes? I'd also like to know if the gearboxes were universal to several GM cars over a period of several years of manufacture?? Your feedback is much appreciated; I'm a little lost on this......

Hey guys, I found a solution to the problem. The gearbox was binding up because the keep plug on the back end of the worm gear was broken and missing and it allowed the worm gear to travel. I found a nylon plug that I sized to fit and replace the original plug and now it seems to travel freely in both directions. Time will tell if the nylon plug wears or works out of the threaded plug hole, but for now, I've got a non-stock fix for the problem. I also dis-assembled the transmission and cleaned/re-lubed it. It needed it; the grease in it was 45 years old and dry and crusted. The gears seemed to be in good condition and I'm very glad I tore it down and re-lubed it. Highly recommend that to anyone doing maintenance on their power seats!!!