40 Buick Super Wood Grain Color

Guest Kurtfreudenberg

Guest Kurtfreudenberg

Does anyone know the name of the color used to do woodgraining on a 40 Buick Super? I am going to do my own woodgraining of dash etc but do not know the proper stock color. Many Thanks

Guest Grant Magrath

Are you referring to the base color? I don't know that it has a name, but what we always do is get a good window garnish molding and get the paint matched to the underside of it. And there's your base! Also, for the actual woodgraining, we found printers ink was the way to go, although there are some pretty cool systems out there right now! I have a friend who I would call an expert woodgrainer, and he uses everything from feathers to beer in his process!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Rob McDonald
he uses everything from feathers to beer in his process!

GRANT, your mate must be an Aussie - they use beer for everything.

Guest Grant Magrath
GRANT, your mate must be an Aussie - they use beer for everything.

Ha ha!! Actually, he's a luthier, and has an awesome guitar collection, including a Led Zeppelin one. The closest he came to being an Aussie, was when he was working in London, and Ozzie Osbourne used to call him "Digger"! I'm sure Terry Stock will vouch for him!

Cheers

Grant

Guest BigDogDaddy

The woodgraining on the 1940 Buicks is not painted on. It is an applique. I think it was made by Dupont. It is a very difficult process to install. A friend had spoken to someone from the company and they said that they could reproduce the woodgraining. It would be a huge investment just to make the applique. It would be an equally huge investment in training someone how to apply it. It is not just a decal. That is why when you see beautifully restored cars with nicely done woodgraining, it never looks right. It never looks like it did from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

teakwood grey is the stated color from Buick publications even though it looks green to the eye

Does anyone know the name of the color used to do woodgraining on a 40 Buick Super? I am going to do my own woodgraining of dash etc but do not know the proper stock color. Many Thanks