39 Master Cylinder Removal

Guest PortCity PanHead

Guest PortCity PanHead

Howdy folks!

I've been searching around here and VCCA with no luck finding tips on this. I have the master cylinder out of the car, but I cannot figure out how to remove the shaft that the brake pedal pivots on. It's a manual, so the clutch pedal slipped off after pulling the lock ring with no troubles, but it looks like that shaft is held in by a small ~3/16" pin. Do I just need to PB blast it and hammer it out, or is it a screw of some kind? The top side is flush with the cylinder casting, but the bottom is recessed a bit and I can't tell if there's a slot or anything to unscrew it, even after cleaning.

Thanks in advance!

Guest TOM RADWILL

The pin has a slight taper, should tap out easily, pin will slide out and brake pedal will be seperate from master cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PortCity PanHead

Well, the casting cracked while I was knocking the pin out :mad: I'll be trolling ebay for another master cylinder unless someone has another idea for me. Might be a good thing though because I wasn't hitting it very hard at all, I get the sneaking suspicion it was already weak/cracked prior to my hammering.