power vent gear replacement

Guest u571

I am attempting to replace the power vent window gears with new bronze ones. After removing the outer door skin it appears I need to remove the inner trim panel to access the motor mounting bolts. Any general advise on servicing this unit? Thanks,Mark

Ok, I was wrong about removing the inner door panel but no problem as I am replacing the window fuzzy weatherstrips anyway. It goes without saying-Remove ALL congealed grease from the power unit gears and window roller tracks and relube. Also clean out all pivot points and relube them. If I wasn't curious about how the old gear was worn I wouldn't have noticed a spacer washer stuck to the bottom of the old gear! I am happy to report that now my vent window functions and the cocked door window now tracks true. Im not so sure how that happened except I found a missing screw sitting at the bottom of the door skin. I recommend tightening all fasteners before re assembly . A quick note, I replaced the door handle gaskets which I had purchased from rubber the right way and they are a very poor fit which is no surprise as the door weatherstripping is total crap and like the upper window seals,self destructed in a short time. I will stick with CARS or STEELE products...maybe one in the same. Thanks Tom, you were right about removing the vent window housing first. Mark