Aussie seeking Hemi purchase info.

Guest jimoat

I`m looking to purchase a 66-69 Plymouth next year and im curious to know what other members feel would be the best buy, Road Runner vs Belvedere ? Which vehicle has the biggest following over there and which is likely to be the better investment. I would only buy a genuine hemi car as i think they are the ultimate muscle car.Im particulary keen on 67 GTX with a Hemi , matching numbers and very clean but not a trailer queen as intend on doing a few thousand k`s a year in it . What could i expect to pay and are there any recommendations members could offer as far as inspections go ?

I forgot to introduce myself, I`m Jim and i live in Alice Springs which is right in the middle of Australia.There are heaps of American cars coming into the country but very few quality mopars which is the reason for my question.

Edited by jimoat (see edit history)

Belvedere, Road Runner, GTX etc are basically the same car under the skin. Road Runner and GTX probably the most expensive. None of them are a good investment, although they may be a good speculation. Depending on where the economy goes, prices could double or be cut by half in a few years. And ultimately they will fall out of favor and decrease in value as the generation that they meant something to, dies off. This is what is happening to the pre 1915 antiques and full classics of the twenties and thirties.

You are talking about a second hand car that is at least 40 years old. Whether you get a good one or not is more or less a matter of luck no matter what you pay. Unless it is a super good car with known provenance, very expensive.

Here is a web site that peruses the web for car ads. It will give you some idea what is available and what things cost or at least the asking prices.

car and truck site mash : combined site search

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp&itm=dodge+1960s&fil=hemi&loc=

A search for 1960s Dodge Hemi turned up 11 candidates, all on Ebay, ranging in price from $1901 to $395000.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thanks Rusty, i realise it is speculation . In Aus we have compulsory super annuation for retirement and 10% of your wages goes every week into that scheme. When the GFC hit most people lost a bundle and im not so keen on doing that again.You can choose to self manage that fund and i feel houses in this country are already way over priced. Who knows what will happen with the economy , i just see cars continuing to rise in a weak economic climate and i do feel muscle cars have a certain appeal that may go on for some time yet.

I was looking at spending 80-120k for the right car.

Appreciate your comments and time to respond.

Cheers