(Finally) Putting the Front Carb back on the 41' (Where does that spring go??)

Guest Tim Romans

Guest Tim Romans

Hey gents,

It's been awhile and yes, I know I work slow. I have my front carb all rebuilt and ready to go. When I took photos of where everything went, I must not have taken a photo of where this spring goes. If memory serves, one end goes in the hole right below my finger. Can't remember where to hook the other end though (photos attached of the spring.) Thanks again for all your help and support!

Tim Romans

post-76431-143139282638_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139282642_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim Romans

I just checked near the linkage near the Acc pedal. Everything seems in order there and the spring is on near the steering column. Still can't figure out where this darn thing goes...

I just checked near the linkage near the Acc pedal. Everything seems in order there and the spring is on near the steering column. Still can't figure out where this darn thing goes...

Tim,you have the OEM Linkage between the Carbs ? The only what I know about this rare Part (I have the Compund Carburetion too,but no OEM Linkage ) is, that it's must be spring rated,because the rear Carb open later than the front One and the another Way round.

Please make more Pics from all of them,then maybe Someone here can help you better.

Good Luck

Edited by jenz38 (see edit history)

Guest Tim Romans

I snapped some more photos of both the front and rear carbs and the linkage. According to the diagrams in the shop manual, the linkage appears OEM. I also did another inspect with the shop manual and according to the diagrams, the front carb doesn't seem to be missing anything. Can anyone else with the dual-carb assembly verify?

When I moved the accelerator assembly, it moved the throttle, but the fast idle did not fully engage and the choke did not move. I'm assuming that means I need to do some adjustments there and it would not be actuated by this largish spring. Judging by the size and tension, I would likely guess that it does not go on the carb and again. This is the one thing I failed to capture via photograph before disassembly (thanks Murphy!) The throttle assembly moved and the secondary part of the linkage to the rear carb also moved which makes this even more of a quandry.

I snapped some more photos of the carb and linkage assembly in the hopes someone out there can help. Apologies in advance as neither my camera or the lighting in my garage is the greatest.

Thanks again for any help you guys can provide!

Cheers!

Tim

BCA #44777post-76431-143139286773_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286745_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286749_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286751_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286754_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286757_thumb.jpg

post-76431-14313928676_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286762_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286765_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286767_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286769_thumb.jpg

post-76431-143139286771_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim,

Sorry that I can help you more,here's a Pic from my Linkage :

11945461nl.jpg</pre>

you will see its completeley differend ,I have build my own for the second Carb and have elongated the OEM one for match the more ahead front Carb.

Maybe the Guys in the Buickteam Forum can help you more.

Good luck

Guest Tim Romans

Jenz,

Thank you again for taking the time to try and help. I really like the job you did on your linkage! I'll definitely try the Team Buick forum.

Cheers!

Tim

Tim,

I looked everywhere. I saw no springs that big near any of the carbs or for that matter anywhere. I looked all over the firewall area and even under the manifolds. Sorry.

Den

Guest Tim Romans

Thanks Den for looking! I guess I can go ahead and try to start her up. If anything is out of whack, I'm sure I'll find out one way or another:D

Cheers!

Tim

BCA #44777