More 63 riv exhaust questions

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

If anyone has a temperature gun and can shoot the exhaust manafold on the passenger side at the rear of the engine and on the drivers side at the rear of the engine please let me know what temperatures you get after it is warmed up while ideling. I get about 425 degrees on the drivers side at the rear and 507 degrees on the passenger side at the rear. I'm trying to figure out why it is hotter on the passenger side. All help and comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

I assume you made sure the heat riser is wide open. Also if you are taking the temp with an infrared gun make sure the surface color is fairly similar where you are shooting it. If one surface is cleaner or more silver and the other is more rust colored it will provide an incorrect reading especially with lower budget guns. Infrared guns do not do well on silver or more reflective surfaces.

If all that is OK - There could be a lean or rich inbalance which could be caused by various issues. If its related to one cylinder you might be able to narrow it down by checking temps at each cylinder. I prefer to use a surface pyrometer when performing more specific troubleshooting. The guns are great for quick reference but can mislead if you are not careful.

Guest Steeleco

Jason,

Thanks for the post. Very informative. I beleive my heat riser is open but I can only tell in reference to the position of the round weight connected to the valve inside the manifold (as shown in the manual) the spring is long gone. I have not looked inside the manafold it may break the studs if I try to remove the exhaust pipe. I do wonder about the different cylinders get a different mixture. That may be my issue as well. Still currious if someone elses shoots their temps.

Thanks