1938 Buick Filler pipe modification and sealant stripping

DavidNA

I am just in the middle of recommissoning a 1938 46S coupe which has been off the road for 10+ years, and is 90% restored

After working on the cooling system, prior to firing up, I am now going through the fuel system as the fuel on test was dark brown - not a good sign.

I have problems with the tank, as the remaining petrol in the tank has attacked the sealant, which is floating around in large and not so large pieces, along with huge amounts of rust, in addition the filler neck joint has cracked.

So steam clean and braze the neck, and strip and reseal the tank, however I may need to take the tank out again to refix the sealant, if the first treatment doesn't work. I will probably use POR 5 products to clean and seal.

Prior to that , any recommendations for stripping or dissolving the old sealer - pics attached

Also, as the tank needed juggling to take out, it would seem an easier job if the filler neck could be cut and then be joined to the tank with an intermediate hose, which when removed would allow the tank to be dropped more easily.

Has anyone experienced this before, and would this be a worthwhile modification

Thx

David

post-73239-143139209341_thumb.jpg

post-73239-143139209347_thumb.jpg

post-73239-143139209351_thumb.jpg

post-73239-143139209356_thumb.jpg

Dave,

When I pulled the tank from my '40 LTD, the filler neck was loose @ the tank.

I jerked it off and used the hole to get the steam cleaner nozzle in there, along w/ the sending unit hole, we were able to clean up the inside pretty well.

On reassembly, I added 2 more braces to the filler neck @ the tank, and my neck just sits inside the fender w/ no other support.

I used wash machine drain hose, slit open as a cushion above the tank on those 2 rails it fits up against. Had to fabricate 2 new straps from a Chevy s-10 set. Used the drain hose on them too.

Mike in Colorado