31 80 series pitman arm ball

autodeco57

Does anyone know where to source the shouldered ball that swages into the end of pitman arm to form the ball joint with the drag link? (1931 Model 87.) I thought I could just go hire the front end shop to put in a new one but they said they don't work on balls. Went to a machine shop and found out that there's an item called a shouldered tooling ball that might work but they don't come in the right sizes. All the catalogs that stock "all years of Buick" usually skip 31. The ball looks to be 1 1/8 (1.125") diameter with about a one inch stand off from the bottom of the shoulder to the center of the ball. I haven't ground off the bottom yet, but I'm guessing the shank diameter is 5/8". Of course, the interchange manual doesn't even list the pitman arm. Anybody got an idea for a source, substitute, nos part?

Autodeco,

Please post pic's......

We replace "balls" on ford steering arms and bellcranks, by boxmilling the old ball off to a "stud" drilling out a big ball bearing, and tig welding it over the stud.

Mike in Colorado

Yo Mike in Colorado,

Thanks a bunch! That gives me another direction to move. Looking up "loose ball bearings"...

Steve in Oregon