1955 Olds Super 88 engine knocking

Guest Arnt-Eirik

Guest Arnt-Eirik

Can anyone help me with this problem: My 324 engine is knocking,I think is coming from the heads,I have changed all lifters and pushrods. It sounds like one valve has a very big clearence.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Guest chuck56

Suggest you pull the rocker covers. Let the engine idle and put a finger on top of each rocker arm. If there is a clearence problem you should be able to feel the difference, the one or ones with the most " hammering" are the problem. Could be the cam lobe or lobes are wearing due to a soft cam and or the oil pump not supplying enought oil. Both conditions were known on the ' 56's . Hope this helps, Chuck

Guest Arnt-Eirik

Thanks Chuck,I will try that. I have bought new rocker arms and axels so its only the camshaft left.

Thanks

Arnt-Eirik

Flat tappet cams like zinc in the oil which is not in most oils these days. I am sure you are aware of this by now. Been a lot of press about this subject. I have seen many a lobe chewed off due to premature wear with new and old engines lately. Hope this is not your case. A automotive stethascope is very handy for pin pointing noises if you can dig one up. Good luck.