455 overheating

JT, when do they overheat, driving or after the shut down? Chris and I had both '73s that would overheat after we shut them off, and the heads were cracked! Tough to find without magnaflux, etc. Seems like it was a '73 problem more than any other year, so see what year blocks they are using. RV

I have two buddies that are having a problem with 455s running hot. One is in a 50 Merc lead sled,and I suspect he is not moving enough air ,as the engine compartment is FULL. The other one is the real problem. He has changed radiators ,water pump and thermostat and it still get to 230 in five minutes of driving. Can it be a cracked head ? He even pulled the heads to see if the gaskets were good (they were)Ican't believe the block is plugged ,and I do not know what to tell him.<BR> frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0 HELP<p>[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]

Hmmmmm...are these engines running with or without a shroud ...i know i ran without one for a short time...didnt take me long to get a shroud....mark

The 455 with the problem has an aluminum rad by Howe racing (the same one I have in my street rod which runs cool as a cucumber)He is also running a BIG electric fan ,and it still heats up. I just talked to him this evening ,and he pulled the heads and had them magnifluxed ,and they are good. The only thing left that I can think of ,is a block full of debris. frown.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

As the prior post states - what about air bubbles??? On my 60 Invicta something is wrong - the hoses get rock hard after 5 minutes and I'm getting the air bubbles - almost like somebody put Tide in the antifreeze. Also - I'm getting white smoke for a couple of minutes after start-up even though the temp is relatively warm. I am thinking head gasket.

I would have to agree with ya old guy...cooling passages could be restricted...i assume your friend can take his thermostat out (if he hasnt already) and will still heat up?....only other thing i can think of is to lower the boiling point with a lower pressure radiator cap...Mark

Guest Randy Berger

You must have either a thermostat or a restrictor plate - if neither, the water moves through too fast to pick up heat.<BR>Double-checking the timing and the cam timing couldn't hurt either. <BR>Be sure and come back and let us know the resolution when you find it. grin.gif" border="0

You could take the radiator cap off, start it up and stick a thermometer in the radiator. See if the radiator water gets as hot as the gauge hooked to the engine. That could tell you if you have a water flow problem.