1920 Overland Model 4 Shimmies

Guest Jerry Moore

Guest Jerry Moore

My 1920 Model 4 Overland shimmies at about 20 MPH when I hit a rough place in the road (sometimes pretty violently). There is no "play" in the tie rods etc. and the front wheels have been balanced. There is a slight bit of play in the steering sector, but does not seem excessive. Is there any way to adjust the steering sector to take up slack due to wear? Also, I have seen an article on shimming the axle at the spring seats to change the castor to correct shimming, but there was not enough details that I could understand. Has anyone had a similar problem that might be able to lend some advice. Any help will be appreciated!

A 1930 book that I have says there was very little trouble with shimmy before balloon tires. It does however list some causes. 1..Unequal tire pressure. 2...loose spring clips. 3...incorrect toe-in. 4...Balance of wheels without tires. 5..camber it goes on for some other things but you suggest most things are tight, My personal choice as first to check is caster. This book puts that as number 17. Personally, every time I had a problem with shimmy (6 Pontiacs 26-32, 26 Studebaker,29 Buick and 41 Dodge pu it was caused by incorrect caster. When I worked for GM in the 60's and 70's we had lots of problems with Caster on Chevs and Pontics built in the 50's. It probably was the most mis-diagnosed problem that our front end department had to repair.