1955 Roadmaster Trunk Carpet

Paul Falabella

Sides of trunk are glued to brown cardboard. Fabric is glued directly to floor around(actually cut around)evaporator.

My question is what is the fabric glued to in the center and sides? Whatever it is was or is now kind of soft and flexible. May have been originally or became so through time. Where can the items for trunk restoration be purchased?

Also, what kind of paint was used in the spare wheel well? Appears to be a thick rubbery paint. Some now chipped and missing in my car.

Thanks in advance.post-54093-143139189754_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143139189699_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143139189742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Falabella (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

PAUL, you can find a long discussion about this trunk material and others for various Buick models in http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1950-1958-trunk-mat-material-333576.html. The carpet that you seek is available from SMS Auto Fabrics at $79 per yard - Largest Selection of Cloth, Vinyl & Leather Automobile Upholstery - SMS Auto Fabrics. It comes in grey-beige, like your sample, as well as blue and maybe green.

The SMS website is good but not comprehensive - they have much, much more than is shown. You need to correspond with them and send samples to get exact matches. It seems they'll create anything and sell it at normal cost, just so they'll have it in stock. A new pattern may take months before delivery is made but reports on these Forums are that it's always very good.

I'm going to be in Portland this week and am planning to visit SMS in nearby Canby, to place my order for the upholstery fabrics for my Roadmaster.

Just sent a request for samples today. I am guessing Roadmasters had fabric attached to the side cardboard covers. Mine has and it appears factory. I am hoping they have a paint and upholstery book as I can't find one and the interior of my car was redone a little different paint and fabric wise.