Rear end restoration

I am doing a restoration on a 1970 Full Sized Buick. I have never heard or read any discussion on what should be done to a readend during a restoration. This car has an unknown mileage on it could be 71,000 or more likely 171,000 and may even be 271,000. I'm doing the obvious, brakes, shocks etc.<BR>What else needs to be done????<P>Thanks

Well first I recommend having on hand the gasket and correct amount and type of fluid to fill it then pull the cover do a visual inspection and a positive identificaion(count gear teeth and sizes of housing etc) of what is in there (posi traction etc).Then see if all the gears are wearing evenly and that there is no metal in the gear oil and the bottom of the housing (there will be some but it should NOT be more than a tablespoon.) Then gear clearance should be checked back lash and what not. This is usually beyond the ability of the backyard mechanic as a magnetic base/holder and a dial indicator is needed and a manual giving the acceptable clearances so you might want to find a good shop.<BR>Best wishes on your resto. But if you were'nt hearing a whining noise or a "clunk" when you put it into gear dont rip into it you might do more harm then good that can wait til you've been finnishing the other things to get it on the road then see how it holds up.

• 1 month later...

Steve's got some good recommendations. <P>Another thing would be to get some gear marking compound (still available from GM) to check the actual pattern on the ring gear. Those procedures are covered in most any factory service manual and can be performed without any special equipment (other than a brush to apply the compound).<P>Basically, I concur that if it's not making any noises or whines or clunks, a fluid change might be all it needs.<P>Usually, a 171,000 or 271,000 mile car will have other tell tale signs of the higher mileage.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467