Jump to content

1974 1/2 MBG Rubber Bumpers for Sale or trade

Guest TerryQ

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

I am new to this site so bare with me. I have purchased a 1974 1/2 MBG to restore. I have just started and I don't like the rubber bumpers. I'm intereted in the chrome bumpers. I also need a radiatior and gas tank. The bumpers are $700 each brand new. I'm asking $650 for both or I would consider a trade for other needed parts. If anyone is interested let me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations on a great project. The MGB is one of the easiest projects to get parts and materials for, and will be very rewarding. Be sure to check out all of the available suppliers online. The Roadster Factory ( The Roadster Factory—Triumph and MG Car Resoration Parts ), Moss ( MG, Triumph, Austin-Healey, Jaguar, Classic British Car Restoration Parts & Accessories - Moss Motors, Ltd. ), and Victoria British ( MG, Triumph, Austin Healey, Sunbeam Tiger - Victoria British, Ltd. ) are "the big 3", and there are numerous smaller outlets that can help. Any of the the big 3 will have your gas tank and radiator. Mail order from Great Britain is expensive, but their suppliers (especially Rimmer Brothers { http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ }) have things that are often hard to find here.

Converting an MGB to chrome bumpers is a lot more complicated than it looks. A number of British suppliers (where this is legal*) sell kits to do this, but I don't think any U.S. suppliers does. In any case it requires careful measuring and cutting of the bumper chassis (frame) rails, and modifications to the fenders, to accommodate the grille and lights. It is not a simple bolt-on job.

* Technically it is a violation to remove safety equipment from a car where NHSTA standards apply. However unless you live in a state with periodic inspection it's unlikely to cause any problems. It will limit your ability to sell the car later, however. I drive a TR6, where removing the "5 MPH' bumper extensions is an easy bolt-on/off mod. If someone lives in a state where they have to have the car safety inspected all they'd have to do (if they bought a TR6 w/o the extensions) would be to bolt them on. Your MGB can't be re-converted back to "legal" once you modify it.

MGB Chrome Bumper Conversion: Contents

Retro Rides - Converting a MGB Rubber Bumper to Chrome?

Edited by Dave@Moon
added Rimmer Bors. link (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...