hard starting 47 caddy

Guest trappnman

Guest trappnman

It starts okay when cold. When it get's up to normal operating temp and I turn it off and come back in 3-5 minutes it cranks really hard. I let it cool down and then it will start. I am thinking of putting a heat sheild over the starter if that is the problem. I had an old timer say that there may be carbon build up and when it gets warm it expands. Any other suggestions out there?

The starter could be bad. First, check and make sure you have the large cables (if car is 6 volt). Small diameter 12 volt cables won't work. Also, it's best to run the ground cable from the battery directly to the mounting bolt of the starter, as this eliminates any corrosion issue on connections through the frame.

Guest trappnman

Thanks for the responses, and ideas. Sorry for not explaining things better. I will try to explain what it sounds like when it tries to start. When it is warm it seems like the battery has lost it's charge and barely turns over, like it will turn over maybe once or twice real slow and then nothing. Yes, I will try running the ground also to the starter, it's worth a shot.

First thing to check is ALL of the electrical connections associated with the starter. Make sure ALL connections are clean, bright shiny metal and that the wiring is in good shape. One connection that most people miss is the metal-to-metal connection where the starter solenoid bolts to the starter housing; also where the starter attaches to the block. I also recommend the extra ground strap mentioned by Mr. Coco. Also, as Mr. Coco suggests, make sure your battery cables are the proper size. Your car should start with no issues hot or cold.

Please let us know how it goes.

HTH,

Jeff