buick 400's???

I have a 1968 buick 400 in my sportwagon. is there a diff. between this engine and a 1969 GS-400 engine (non stage one) are the heads/cams/valves/etc. exhaust manifolds, etc. the same???<P>any cam suggestions, i have a edelbrock performer, and dual exhaust. i still wish to have a smooth idle. i saw a cam in the TA performance brochure that was "20 hp over stock, smooth idle, stock valvetrain ok" what are anybody's thoughts on this cam choice??? <P>I am not looking for a "racer" just something with a little more pep.<P>thanks<BR>james

James,<P>I am in the process of rebuilding a 350 for my 70 skylark. I purchased just about everything from TA. They are knowledgeable and willing to point you in the right direction. So, I would start there as far as asking about cams etc.<P>I had originally planned on doing the same with my 350, "a little more pep". It has since turned into a 10:1 forged piston, .515 lift 232 duration cam, aluminum intake, internally balanced, double pumpin drain on the ole pocket! But hey... this is my weekend driver - who needs gas mileage! wink.gif" border="0 <P>I hope to have the motor put back in my lark this weekend, but with the family coming for T-Giving, I'm not sure how that will happen. Anyway, good luck and don't fall into the money pit!<P>Franciso<BR>1972 Skylark Suncoupe all original (RIP) frown.gif" border="0 <BR>1970 Skylark current project (my first project!) grin.gif" border="0

James, your engine in the 68 should be the same as the 69 gs and sportwagon. Cams are a personal item,that is ,what do you want as far as performance and the sound that is nice to the ear. My first change was the rear gears from stock 3.23 to a 3.64 for towing in my 68 sportwagon. The engine came alive with these gears for towing and 1/4 mile time went from 15.02 to 14.40. Gears are needed for a stock engine. This past weekend at cecil county raceway in Maryland, I was racing my 68 sportwagon and couldn't beleave seeing another Buick wagon racing. It was Bret Turner from maine running his 69 Special wagon with 3.73 gears, headers, carb, cam and intake. It ran 12.01 @ 109 and is street driven. I think his email is BCTPET@ YAHOO My wagon is modified with 464 buick with Stage 2 alum heads and headers, 1040 Dominator holley. KB coolrunner intake. 508 solid cam. 12.5 flat top pistons, roller rockers, 4" daul exhaust and cross pipe, 3500 stal conv, 4.10 spool ,12.5x 28x15 ET streets,weight 3800 lbs, best ET 10.71@ 126.7mph It is street drivin but not to much. Good luck on your project. Bill "SPORTWAGON FROM HELL"