Need to date a 1918 -1923 Buick engine

Guest dietrich

Guest dietrich

Hi I need to date a buick six engine its number is BX 4782 or PX 4782

I think the X means export

engine is defiantly 1918 - 1923

any ideas

Take another look at the serial number. Sometimes the hand stamping looks other than what it is. Could it be a CPX? If so it is a McLaughlin Buick. The Buick engines produced in Canada had such a serial number. CP meant Canada Produced, and X for export as you suggest. This was done so tax would not be applied by the Govt. Usually they are over stamped and you have to look very closely.

The engine in my 23 MB model 45 is CPX4319. I also think that USA made Buicks had longer serial number, but unsure. Dave Corbin knows for sure.

And a pic would help of the engine and serial number itself.

I have a couple of pics of my serial number if you want them for comparison. Send me an email at unimogjohn@aol.com and will send them to you. They are too large to post on the forum.

Dietrich, dollars to donuts you have a very rare McLaughlin produced Buick engine. Made in Walkerville, Ontario, Canada.

Here is a pic of my serial number.

Sadly, we have just found out that Dave Corbin has passed away. I now that he made plans for someone or some organization to receive his production data. We will just have to wait to find out who will continue his legacy. Dave will be missed. He always enjoyed research and was very proud of his knowledge and ability to help the Buick community.

While Dave did not have the individual production numbers and date from GM of Canada/McLaughlin he was able to extrapolate the run and number produced.

Do you have the little doors on the valve cover? If yes it is a 23 engine. I believe that the engines became self oiling in the 1924 models.

post-48480-143139146095_thumb.jpg