Special thanks to everyone on the forum

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

Extremely happy today! With help from you guys as to how to replace the transmission tailshaft seal on my 63 riv, I went to a shop that really did not want to work on the car (most don't), but after I explained what I understood about how the seal was replaced (unbolting the driveshaft from the differential and losening the nuts at the carrier bearing to pull it back), they agreed to do it and only charged a half hour labor $45.00. Thank you all. Now a question about the heat riser. Does anyone have a photo of the back side of the the manafold that shows a properly working heat riser spring that opens is up when warm. In my case the valve is free and easily rotated but the spring is not attached to the "boss". So it does not seem to open up.

I love Saturdays!

Steele,

Here's a scanned page from my '63 owners manual that describes the workings of the heat riser.

Good work on the transmission. I've found the same situation before. A mechanic will have general skills but not specific knowledge. If you provide the instructions for him, he can do the work.

Ed

Heat riser operatioin.PDF

ROA - just like American Express "Membership has its privileges"

Guest Kingoftheroad
Steele,

I've found the same situation before. A mechanic will have general skills but not specific knowledge. If you provide the instructions for him, he can do the work.

Ed

[ATTACH]150283[/ATTACH]

ROA - just like American Express "Membership has its privileges"

I had the same experience...