Air pump

Guest WD Smith

Guest WD Smith

Has anyone or does anyone know of a tire pump that runs off a DB or GB vehical?? A car buff at our last car show says he has one at home and he will bring it to the next meeting. thanks

Graham Bros trucks had a tire pump that works off the transmission, not all models and I cant say specifically which without doing some re-search

Just want to put my 2 cents in, about 30 years ago, an elderly man had a 1926 Packard sedan in his barn, up on blocks since 1950. He had shown me a little pump that he said would bolt onto the transmission to inflate the tires instead of having to use the hand pump. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen! It looked like a small 4 cylinder engine that would fit in the palm of your hand. The nickel plating was a little bit worn down to the brass frame, but I don't recall it stamped with the Packard logo at all. There was a long, cloth covered air hose with a brass air chuck on the end, long enough to reach all the wheels from the transmission. I had to leave my old hometown and when I returned, the man, his car, the pump, the barn, the house was ALL gone. I've never seen another pump like that since.

They were available aftermarket as well and I believe were more common on higher dollar vehicles. Some of you guys have prob. seen the ones that screw into the cylinder head cylinders that make air by turning over the cylinders.

These were common on up to sometimes in the 30s maybe later

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest HORNSBY-AKROYD

HI ALL,

I HAVE A P.T.O. THE GEARBOX TYRE PUMP, WHICH I HAVE JUST REMOVED FROM MY 1928/29 GRAHAM BROTHERS WITH THE DODGE VICTORY SIX ENGINE TRUCK, AND I HAVE FORWARDED PHOTO'S TO 1930 ( JASON ) AND I AM SURE HE WILL POST THEM, WHEN HAS SOME SPARE TIME.

THESE PUMPS WERE QUITE COMMON IN AUSTRALIAN TRUCKS BEFORE 1930, AND WERE REQUESTED AS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT, FROM THE MANUFACTURERS.

REGARDS BILL

HI ALL,

I HAVE A P.T.O. THE GEARBOX TYRE PUMP, WHICH I HAVE JUST REMOVED FROM MY 1928/29 GRAHAM BROTHERS WITH THE DODGE VICTORY SIX ENGINE TRUCK, AND I HAVE FORWARDED PHOTO'S TO 1930 ( JASON ) AND I AM SURE HE WILL POST THEM, WHEN HAS SOME SPARE TIME.

THESE PUMPS WERE QUITE COMMON IN AUSTRALIAN TRUCKS BEFORE 1930, AND WERE REQUESTED AS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT, FROM THE MANUFACTURERS.

REGARDS BILL

Here you go, now the only thing left would be to describe how it works, hard to visualize without being bolted to tranny and even then??

post-48869-143139123364_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143139123367_thumb.jpg

post-48869-14313912337_thumb.jpg

Guest HORNSBY-AKROYD

THERE ARE TWO TYPES AND I HAVE BOTH, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS; ONE THE CONTROL SHAFT GOES UP THROUGH THE FLOOR, THE OTHER THE CONTROL SHAFT COMES OUT JUST ABOVE THE RUNNING BOARD.

BOTH BOLT TO THE GEARBOX ( TRANSMISSION ) AND THE CONTROL SHAFT MOVES A SLIDING GEAR TO MESH WITH A FIXED GEAR IN THE GEARBOX WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED.

THEN WE HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR, WITH A LONG RUBBER TUBE, AND A MOBILE TYRE PUMP TO ALTER PRESSUES OR BLOW UP NEW REPAIRS, VERY HANDY ON THE FARM OR OUTBACK ROADS.

CHEERS BILL.

THERE ARE TWO TYPES AND I HAVE BOTH, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS; ONE THE CONTROL SHAFT GOES UP THROUGH THE FLOOR, THE OTHER THE CONTROL SHAFT COMES OUT JUST ABOVE THE RUNNING BOARD.

BOTH BOLT TO THE GEARBOX ( TRANSMISSION ) AND THE CONTROL SHAFT MOVES A SLIDING GEAR TO MESH WITH A FIXED GEAR IN THE GEARBOX WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED.

THEN WE HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR, WITH A LONG RUBBER TUBE, AND A MOBILE TYRE PUMP TO ALTER PRESSUES OR BLOW UP NEW REPAIRS, VERY HANDY ON THE FARM OR OUTBACK ROADS.

CHEERS BILL.

So in picture no 3 is the shaft to the left the handle that sticks thru the floorboard and is it safe to assume the hose attaches to the fitting on the upper right, looks to be the cylinder head.

Where is the hose stored when not in use, must have been pretty long and hard to believe one would have to crawl under there every time one were to use it.

If that is the handle how does it engage, by turning??

Also you say you have two types, is this the correct pump for your Graham truck, what is the story with the other one?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)