1963 riv heat riser

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

In regards to the heat riser it is my understanding that if it is not frozen it is probably ok, in other words no stuck shut. It appears the weights on it keep it shut and the spring contracts when the engine is warm to open it up. In my case I dont think the spring is working although it does move freely and I can hear the spring if I rotate it with my hand. Other than removing the butterfly inside does anyone have any input as to how to keep it open?

Thanks

I posted a photo for reference (not mine)post-85701-143139112866_thumb.jpg

If the spring is still attached to the shaft, you could just wire it open. If I'm correct, I take it from your post that you have no need a heat riser. If that's the case, you could swap the exhaust manifold you have for one like picture I've attached. It had no heat riser in it. The heat riser was a separate piece. You could have a very short extension made that would take the place of the heat riser so the exhaust pipe would remain in the same place. I can't tell you which cars came with which kind of manifold.

Ed

1964-66%20Buick%20401%20Exhaust%20Manifold.JPGImage 1 of 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lasse

Joining in on the discussion, I´m wondering what kind of a manifold I´ve got? As you (hopefully, if you really, really try) can see from the pics, there is a spring still in place on the inner side of the manifold (next to the oil filter) but the other side only holds a hole and a stump in it. I guess thats where the valve was, but isn´t anymore? However, there is no such pipe in the side of the manifold such as in Steeleco´s picture. What the heck is this thing?

post-75661-143139124259_thumb.png

post-75661-143139124249_thumb.png

While I was leafing through my chassis and body manuals looking for interior screw placements, I came across pictures of the exhaust manifold that you're picturing. It sounds as if the counter balnce wheel on your heat riser is missing.

Can you find a part number cast into your exhaust manifold? Perhaps someone with the same part number will be able to answer your question for you. The "pipe" you see in Steelco's picture is the heat riser tube. That tube provides clean hot air for the automatic choke. A steel line runs from the top part of the tube to the choke housing. A rubber hose runs from the lower part of the tube to a fresh air nipple on the neck of the carb. I've seen these tubes located in different places on exhaust manifolds with different casting numbers.

Ed