'64 clock repair

Guest winfield

Guest winfield

Clock didn't work when I bought the car earlier this year. Found a good article here

Putting the Ticktock Back in Your Old Car Clock | Old Cars Weekly

That described how the clock worked and some repair tips. I was able to get mine running by cleaning the contacts but I can't get the stem to turn, so I can't set the time.

Anyone have suggestions, either on a fix or a reputable company that I can use for repair.

I'm thinking of using a little WD40 on this before I send it out. BTW the idler gear is working, but the stem still won't turn.

Thanks Guys

I took one of these clocks apart the other day. It's not hard to get the back cover off and once you do that, you can see how everything works. I was able to get ahold of the stem (on the inside) with a small pair of needle nose pliers, then the knob on the stem will unscrew and you can separate the bezel from the mechanism. The hands are press fit so they'll come off easily as well. Once your inside, it's easy to see where any hang-ups might be. If the clock isn't repairable, then with the face, hands, and bezel, and cover, you have a really good candidate for a quartz conversion.

Ed

Guest winfield

I think I may have found an answer as to why I can't wind the clock. For anyone interested, please check out this article. I'm going to disassemble my clock again and try this before I send it out for repair. Hope this is useful to someone.

The Motion Works - TimeZone