65 Riv Water Pump replace & Trans pan -Gasket advice, etc? -Long

Guest ErikDurocher

Guest ErikDurocher

Hello all,<o:p></o:p>

I’m in the middle of severalprojects on my Black Beauty – all are new territory for me… Seeking tips.Radiator, Grill, PS pump, PS & AC Brackets and have been pulled out. –As forthe Water pump, I’ll likely remove the combined fan/clutch/pulleys & pumpall as one. Concerned about getting all back together correctly w/ new pump& gasket –the 8 bolts on fan & clutch/pulleys and several around thepump. Shall I install the pump 1st then the pulleys/fan, or connectall 1st then attach with the pump all at same time? (easieraccess-wise) As for the gasket –should I use sealant on the engine side, pumpside or both? Any recommended sealant other than Gasgacinch? –JEGS part#555-440-B -I have new 180 thermostat,all new hoses & flushed the Rad and heater core really good a few times w/CLR, Prestone superflush and a soak with vinegar –looks MUCH better inside.Will also drain coolant from block before another flush, if I can find thecorrect drain bolts –aft of the motor mounts I hear..? What size hex head?<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

-Same basic question on theTrans pan gasket – sealant on Trans side or Pan side or both? (after a goodscraping/clean) Also nervous about getting the new Trans filter installed –I’venever opened a Trans pan before –any tips?<o:p></o:p>

Oh, and the Trans fluid (coolinglines) going into the bottom of the Radiator –which side is the inlet &/orwhich side is the exit? Any special AT Fluid recommended? (Posi-trac) Shouldchange the rear-end fluid too –it’s likely been 20 years…<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance to all for anytips!<o:p></o:p>

Happy Riving!<o:p></o:p>

-Erik<o:p></o:p>

ROA member # 12873

'65 401 (rebuilt .030 over) Black/Black Deluxe w/ Posi<o:p></o:p>

Guest ErikDurocher

Hmmm, 72 Views and no tips yet...? Come-on fellow friendly "Riv-ers", I know some of you have experience with these projects - any help would be very appreciated. -I need some encouraging helpful info to gain more confidence with these projects.

Thanks to any & all.

-Erik

ROA member # 12873

For your sealant question, apply the silicone to one surface, allow it to set for a few moments to 'set' then bolt your items together. Dont apply it to both surfaces, just one and it should be a thin coat. I am not sure of the part nubmer of gaskacinch you are calling out, but the stuff Ive used by them is a glue to hold a gasket in place, not really a sealant on its own.

The trans pan, loosen the bolts starting in one corner and progressively loosen them so it tips down one corner and the fluid will drain out. the filter will be either slip on or held by screws, cant really screw it up.

For the water pump, I would do pump, then radiator, then pulley/fan and shroud. in that order.

I havent done these things on a Riviera, thats just the way I have done it on all the other hundred car I have worked on

Erik, the engine compartment in the first gen Riviera is very tight and having been there, done that, I found the easiest way is to install the pump, pulley's, fan, and then place the shroud (assuming factory air) around the water pump and then install the radiator.

Something that I have found that works great for sealing is some stuff called Ultra Black from Permatex and is available from your local auto parts stores. I have used this to seal water pumps, thermostat housing, rear end covers, timing chain covers etc and have never had the first leak. Always use the supplied gasket on the thermostat housing and water pump.

On the transmission pan, sealant on the pan, then put the gasket on the pan and then sealant on the gasket and reinstall the pan. As far as the coolant lines I will look at my car and get back to you but it may be tomorrow.

Guest ErikDurocher

Thank you very much "alini" this helps, I'll just get some black silicone RTV Gasket maker to use & tackle all that stuff (& more) soon.

Take care,

-Erik

Guest ErikDurocher

Great help Don, good to hear I had the right plan. I do have A/C & a shroud I need to repair. Thank you very much. I'll get some of that Permatex... Need to flush rusty coolant/water out of engine again after I pull the water pump off. Will be looking for the block drain bolts tomorrow, and get some stainless bolts to replace the 4 corroded water neck/dogbone bolts... etc., etc.,

Enjoy all of your great Buicks!

Cheers,

-Erik

Erik, I took a first gen Riv fan shroud to the National in Charlotte as one of the parts I wanted to sell a few weeks ago. It came off of my 65 Riv and was broken. I repaired it with some fiberglass cloth and resin that I had bought at Home Depot. I applied it to both sides and after sanding I painted it with some black Duplicolor bumper coating. It is for bumpers on the newer cars and works very well and the shroud and it comes out looking like new.

Remember to use some anti-seize compound on the stainless steel bolts and your block drain plugs are just above the oil pan between the middle two cylinders. While you are at it get a new "O" ring to replace the one where the dog bone goes into the timing chain cover.

Good luck