Converting brake system masi tc

Guest glhs727

Guest glhs727

I've got a clean masi tc with the abs sysytem. the accumulator/abs pump went bad. I can't spend $1400 to rebuild the pump but I have an 88 daytona shelby z as a donor car. Can I swap brake systems? if so, do I only need the brakebooster and master cylinder or will I need everything including rotors, calipers, lines etc... to transfer over?

TIA

Guest ddhebert

Yes you can convert it but you'll have to change the Brake pedal bracket which you have drop the steering coloum and REMOVE the INTAKE MANIFOLD., Proportioning valve, and the brake lines are different sizes but on the bright side you don't have to change brake calipers, pads or rotors. All in all its aaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttt of work !!!!, And you take away from the originality of the car. I was thinking of doing the same thing but after talking to several people it I shyed away, Legal issues, Vehicle value in selling some day and so on. Hope this helps.

Guest Lee_M

ddherbert's advice sounds solid to me. i too considered such a foolhardy act, and received plenty of good reasons NOT to do so.

http://forums.aaca.org/f144/hemis-brake-conversion-abs-not-abs-302226.html

i think it was hemi that detailed his project which is almost exactly what you have suggested here... but for some reason i can't find a link to it. it was either here, or at the yahoo! tc forum, or at allpar, maybe.

anyone out there know where this article is?

i think that while the conversion worked, the author recommended that others essentially "not try this at home".

Edited by Lee_M (see edit history)

I've got a clean masi tc with the abs sysytem. the accumulator/abs pump went bad. I can't spend $1400 to rebuild the pump but I have an 88 daytona shelby z as a donor car. Can I swap brake systems? if so, do I only need the brakebooster and master cylinder or will I need everything including rotors, calipers, lines etc... to transfer over?

TIA

Welcome to the AACA TC Forum 727:) I've not had to replace the entire system as Hemi described but there are some other options. Do you have a hard brake pedal or soft? Hard could easily be just a 30amp fuse in the ABS harness overlay(small fusebox on passenger side engine compartment by the ignition coil) Soft pedal usually is the pump(has the system been opened at any caliper or line?) but Larry Carlson at TC parts has the remaned in stock for $575. not $1400. There is a good chance he would do some parts trading with you as well if cash outlay is the issue. Lastly, rumor has it there is a competant small shop in Spring Texas with a full time mechanic that could do this kind of work for you:cool:

Alan