63 Riviera air condition low point service port

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I bought an AC Pro air condition recharge kit to recharge my 63 Riviera air condition with 134. I found the port by the compressor but can not find the low port. Can someone tell me where it is? thanks

Has your 63 been converted over to 134A :confused:

Unless your system has been converted for 134A, the ports are different for 134A vs R-12 and you will not be able to use what you have purchased.

Bob Bonto #277 ROA

Technical Advior 71-73

Guest oakland

Yes, it was converted a few years back. I tried the AC Pro on the fitting by the compressor, but it is not compatable. Can these fittings be changed without loosing all the charge?

Yes, it was converted a few years back. I tried the AC Pro on the fitting by the compressor, but it is not compatable. Can these fittings be changed without loosing all the charge?

Try the port by the POA valve, that is the low pressure side and the port at the compressor is the high pressure side. I'm not a fan of the R134 coversions from a system that originally had R-12. Nothing beats a fully functional R-12 system.

Bob Bonto# 277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73

Guest oakland

Both ports have the same kind of fitting. Can I change these fitings without loosing the R134 I have already in the system?

Both ports have the same kind of fitting. Can I change these fitings without loosing the R134 I have already in the system?

No you cannot change the fittings without loosing the R134. I suggest you take it to a shop that specializies in A/C work. I'm not talking about Goodyear, Firestone, or NTB or any of the chain shops. It sounds like whoever did your conversion, did not put the proper fittings on.

In addition to having a set of R12 gages, I also have a set for R134, with quick disconnect, the low pressure fitting is smaller than the high pressure

fitting. They are made that way so you cannot mistake which is which.

Your situation makes for my stance on R134 vs the old factory R-12 systems. These cheap retro kits don't work.

Bob Bonto #277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73

Guest oakland

My mistake. I just glanced at the low point fitting and it looked the same. Upon looking further, it was smaller and worked. I charged the system with AC Pro 134 and it works great. Only trouble i have now is when I accelerate the car, the blower slows down and does not put air out of the vents. The manual suggests that the check valve off of the input manifold is bad. Been trying to locate one, but no luck so far.