Installing seat belts in 1954 Convertible (62)

Dennis in CT

I have a 54 Convertible which is my driver and after a few near misses and badgering from friends and loved ones, I broke down and bought some 2 pt lap belts to prevent anyone from being unnecessarily ejected. Was going to install tomorrow and realized my plan was not going to work for the front seat. I was going to fit the belt between the back and bottom and anchor them to the floor below, but it looks like crap. Wondering if anyone out there has already done this, and if so, could you share your experience and or send me some pics. I think I am going to have to slit the seat bottom right under the seat back and slide them down under the seat, but that is going to require my getting an upholsterer involved and seeing how it is an original interior I really would rather not.

Thoughts and input appreciated.

Well, I have belts in my '55 CDV. I passed them between the bench portion and the folding backrest; typical/std. install. What I did do was move the attaching point forward as far as possible, so the belts did not protrude too much into the rear floor plan area. They look ok; not "like crap." To do this though, you do need the longest length belts you can buy.