Help and tips on removing race from front hub on a 65

Guest Rob J

Guest Rob J

Reassembling the front brakes now on my 65. I have new bearings and races. Having a heck of a time knocking out the inner and outer races from the aluminum drums. Anybody have any tips or tricks, or do I just need to put more muscle into it. Don't want to damage the drums.

Guest slacker1965

rob,

most hubs have a few little slots in them that will allow you to get a punch on the edge of the race, work around the race with your punch in 3 or 4 places(12oclock, 6, 3 & 9).

since the drum is aluminum, it is very important to support the hub under the steel of the hub, not on the outer edge where it is just alum. wear eye protection. it is a press fit, so it is important to remove & install the races evenly or square to the hub. if you dont have a set of race drivers, you can use a socket with a soft faced hammer, you will hear a change in tone when the race bottoms. I hope this helps.....

k slack

roa # somewhere on my last riview mag.....

Guest Rob J

Got em out. Problem was, I was initially using a flat head screwdriver, and the handle was absorbing too much of the impact. Cleaning and bead blasting the drums now, then paint, then install.