56 Olds 324

Guest 400mag

Guest 400mag

I am working on a 56 olds and cant afford to rebuild the engine, does anyone have a decent running 324 for a 56 they are willing to sell?

Thanks,

Eric

Guest slyhog022056

Does it need a complete rebuild or just rings and bearings??? The entire rebuild kit is about $1500 from falcon global. the kit has everything you need

Engine kit includes:

• 8 brand new pistons any size

• piston rings

• rod bearings any size

• main bearings any size

• cam bearings

• camshaft to o.e. specs

• lifters

• timing chain and sprockets

• complete overhaul gasket set

• oil pump kit

• freeze plugs

• all valves

• all valve springs

• all valve guides

• all pin bushings

• all push rods

about the only thing it dont have are valve seats and your machine shop will have those since they have to be replaced anyway. No choice there, unleaded fuel will destroy the original ones.

Guest 400mag

I have been looking at that on ebay for quite awhile and have been strongly considering it. But with the cost of shipping and machining plus the price to have the tranny rebuilt, im assuming ill have a good $3,500 to $4,000, Not counting the wiring harness. Since the car has factory a/c the harness is alot more. it totalled around $1200. So about $5000 total. So i was thinking if I found a good running 324 that someone was willing to sell, it would be alot cheaper. Is that smart? or would i just be better off waiting and getting it rebuilt?

Thanks,

Eric

Guest slyhog022056

I know what you mean i figured it out for my 303 and to do a complete rebuild on engine and trans is close to $5000 to $5500 counting machine work. to me its not worth it for a driver. If something goes wrong on a cruise or trip i would be screwed so to speak, it isnt like you can go to a parts house and get parts, everything about it has to be ordered or rebuilt. Not saying something is going to go wrong after a rebuild but you never know.

Thats my thoughts too. But im sure it's not that easy to find a 324 that someone is willing to sell though either.

Plus you never know for sure what is about to go wrong with a motor that you don't know. The last time I checked you could figure about $650 a hole from a machine shop to rebuild a 324, expensive but you have a new engine that you can trust....Tedd

Guest slyhog022056

Here are the prices i got and figured into machining for rebuilding

Bore and hone..........................220

Magnaflux block........................ 35

Grind crank..............................220

Remove and press in piston pins.. 75

Grind Valveseats......................260

Install hardened valve seats...... 80

Install cast valve guides........... 127.........bronze guides.....220

surface heads........................ 60

This is not including hot tanking, cam bearings, etc. this all is close to $1200

Then there is the $1500 for rebuild kit, doesnt include hardened valve seats

Also add in the other stuff, water pump, carb kit, distributor parts etc...

My total i figured would be $3000 to $3500