1959 Ford Thunderbird Hardtop

*SOLD*

This gorgeous 1959 Thunderbird is the first of a large group of cars we just acquired (you can see some in the background of the photos, and yes, they're all for sale), and I'm listing it first because it simply blows me away. Restored several years ago, it hasn't seen much use since and it is just jaw-dropping in person. First of all, black with a red leather interior is quite possibly my favorite color combination, and according to the body tag, it is this car's original setup. It is also loaded with every single option available in 1959, including factory A/C (fully functional with R134a conversion last year), power windows, power driver's seat, AM radio with console-mounted speaker (also fully functional), and chrome wire wheels. It shows 66,431 miles, which is quite likely authentic.

The Raven Black paint work is excellent and shows very, very few signs of use. The sheetmetal is all original and there are no signs of patches or replacement pieces in either the quarters or floors. It has been rubbed and buffed to a show-quality finish with no orange peel, no ripples, and nary a fingerprint on it (although given our photo shoot location, dust was a constant issue). All the chrome and emblems were restored or replaced with reproduction items, but things like the side spears show crisp details and the fender-mounted gunsight ornaments are outstanding. The massive grille and bumper assembly, the rear bumper, and the jet-inspired taillights are all equally excellent.

Inside, the red leather interior is all new and done to factory standards. Fresh carpets, new door panels, and a taut white headliner are in place, and the dash is full of rebuilt gauges. As I said, the A/C blows ice cold, all four windows power up and down effortlessly, and the driver's seat moves easily. The AM radio works and broadcasts through a speaker mounted in the center console. The trunk is properly detailed with reproduction mat and tire cover, as well as a complete jack assembly.

The 352 cubic inch V8 was rebuilt during the restoration, starts easily, and idles smoothly. I took it out on the highway and it pulls cleanly from any speed, glides down the highway at 75 MPH with hardly a whisper, and the suspension and brakes are in top condition. The chassis has been undercoated, so it isn't detailed for show, but I can find no evidence of rust repairs or floor patches. Those are real chrome wires wheels, not hubcaps, and are fitted with Firestone radials.

An off-the-charts nice car that's fully sorted and loaded with options. There can't be many nicer Square Bird hardtops anywhere, and a similar car with a white top and no A/C sold at the Robeson auction for more than $40K, so the days of these being $25,000 beaters are probably gone. Asking $34,900 and we're always open to reasonable offers.

post-31138-143139069448_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139069144_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139069425_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313906943_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139069433_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139069437_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313906944_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139069442_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139069445_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139069452_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
Added mileage (see edit history)