1932 buick 57s

pacrat

pacrat,

I am wondering if you are referring to the vacuum clutch. If you have a 57s, it should have the vacuum clutch. I think I have some photos on a disc somewhere, but if you could send some of the areas you need, I can try to finf what should be there. As to rods and linkage, you may need to have some made. You can e-mail be at j.scheib@comcast.net,

John

I probably have some of the vacuum clutch linkage parts if that is what you need. There is a lot of linkage in the firewall, starter area. Ride control linkage, heat riser control linkage, sthrottle linkage, and the vacuum clutch linkage. The specifications and adjustments manaul for the 1932's has some good drawings of these parts. If you don't have one, there are reproductions available for about $20 on ebay. If you refer to pages in this manual, I can then see what I have that you might need.

Bob

hay Bob after 20 years 3 moves and a partner in the car a box of parts has gone missing ,the looks great i just want to drive it, i got the starter from you so the missing parts all from that area ,now it looks like i need the vacume control and pedal plus linkage, have all on the tran but the last conecter link

post-77793-143139066657_thumb.jpg

If you just want to drive the car, forget about the vacuum control and the heat riser control. Just run your throttle from the body to the carburetor and you can tie in the throttle control from the stering column if you want to. I'll search some of my photos to show the throttle linkage and then we can discuss what parts you are missing.

Most people only install the vacuum clutch parts for appearance sake as it was very unreliable in operation. It's not necessary for normal manual shift driving.

Same goes for the heat riser linkage. most people block off the heat riser so no exhaust goes into the riser and therefore, no linkage is needed for operation. With modern fuels, there is no need to adjust the heat controls and you eliminate a lot of poteential problems by not using the heat riser.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Bob

Working on the throttle linkage. The gas pedal is mounted onto the toe board. Bob's automobilia has these for sale. They have a spring return on the bottom pivot. A linkage piece passes through the toe board and atttaches to the the pivoting casting that is mounted onto the top back bolts for the waterjacket cover. The rod you have on top of the exhaust manifold connect to this cast piece and the other end attaches onto the back side of the heat riser. This linkage piece has an attachment piece for a return spring which then goes to the bracket above the pivoting casting. this spring looks like a screendoor spring. tension is set by moving the piece on the linkage.

I hope I haven't confused you. I don't have a good picture of the connections on the piovting casting. May John

Scheib can get a good photo of this assembly.

For operation of the Wizzard control. a piece of linkage goes from the lower slide valve on to the other arm on the pivoting casting. An arm similar to the one lying on top of the exhaust manifol goes from the top slide valve dow to theWizzard actuator which is mount onto the toe board.

Bob

pacrat,

Sorry I did not get back to you, as I saw Bob was providing some of the same information and photos I was going to send, as we have the same series car. I am not sure where you are located, but if you have the opportunity next week, nd slose by, you might want to get to Concrd for the National meet on Saturday. There will be at least one '32 there, although the larger series have different linkage. If I do not get time tomorrow, or Thursday to get some new pics, these might have to wait until July. If you indicate where you are located, perhaps we can find a '32 nearby that you can view in live 3D.

John

boy you guys are great, now i have alot more information to process ,have been going hard on it on the weekends till i hit a wall ,hoping to get one motor running on a stand i have two,not a lot of these cars in vancouver canada area,it is a mclaughlin but i find all the parts in the usa ,this site has saved me thanks again

post-77793-143139067991_thumb.jpg

pacrat,

Now I remember your previous. It IS a long way from Vancouver, BC to Concord, NC. It would be better if we could find you a '32 50 series to see somewhere nearby you. Is there anyone in the Northwest that can help him? A picture is worth a thoudand words, but I look at a complete car is much better.

As Bob has said, you can run the car, without the vacuum slutch and the carburator heat exchanger.

John

thanks bob,eliminating the wizard and the heat riser ,takes a lot of worry off,i think the reason i could not find the linkage they were both probably disconected in the 50s ,what is your thoughts on recharging the shutter control and the brass rivits for the louvers,also need the choke flute,dont think anyone will weld cast aluminumpost-77793-143139069692_thumb.jpg

Check some old postings, for rebuilding the Silphon unit. These are similar to Packard, and there is quite some information. Are your louvers disconnected. For now, you caan just block them open with a small wood block, for driving as long as you do not want a 100% restoration.

I have to go and look over my carb, as I am not sure how your broken part fits. If that is just a link of pot metal, you may have to have a new piece made of aluminium stock. Perhaps Bob may better direct you, because my response will have to wait until after return from the BCA National.

John

thanks john,would just like to drive this car for now but but most of it is mint no rust no damage it had spun a con rod early in the 50s and was parked ,for now i just want to drive it, but in the end i do want all the stuff to work,i will always be looking for some parts,that`s fun,even if i have a few extra to share at the end

Sorry not to have replied sooner. Our car club took a trip to Allentown and we got to see the Bulgarari collection and restoration shop.

On the broken carb piece, I would epoxy the part together. Then I would make a new bracket to support the choke outer cover. I would use the screws that mount the carb piece as the mounting base for the new bracket. This would take the stress off the broken area and still give you a mount for the choke cable. This would work until you find a replacement carb or piece.

On the thermostat, there are earlier threads that discuss places to get these fixed and recharged. I'll dig up the testing procedure for checking the themostats and post it. Many times the problem is cracks in the bellows of the themostat. for the shutter rivets, Mac Blair at 32 Buick registry has them for sale. I made my own out of brass rod. I did modify the original design by thereading the center and using screws to attach them to the shutters rather than riveting the end to make the attachment as was done originally. I can get you the dimensions for the part if you need them.

Bob

thanks again bob ,but my heat riser is the big problem now ,it was so bad had to make some releif cuts in it to get all the rust out not much left ,managd to tack it back togther ,he base welded well but the jacket i could just tac now now my plan is to hot tank it ,fill it with copper and machine it out ,wish me luck ,looked for one long enough

thanks again bob ,but my heat riser is the big problem now ,it was so bad had to make some releif cuts in it to get all the rust out not much left ,managd to tack it back togther ,he base welded well but the jacket i could just tac now now my plan is to hot tank it ,fill it with copper and machine it out ,wish me luck ,looked for one long enough