Side window install/alignment

airbrushguy

Put all new glass in my '39 model 61, also all new "fuzzies etc."

After a short time the front driver glass cracked. Don't know why, it seemed to go up and down freely..??

Does anyone have any tricks or tips on adjustment etc. that could prevent this again.

I'm a little nervous replacing glass again without knowing what caused the problem.

Thanks

Guest Grant Magrath

The slightest pressure over time can crack your glass. Ask me how I know! Have everything as loose as possible when ftting it. Check for pressure points and adjust accordingly. It usually cracks overnight when wound fully up!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

The vent window post adjusting screw can go backwards and forwards as well as in and out. I'd have a look at the window channel as well. How did you attach it again? If you used screws, the glass pressing against one in one spot could cause stress. Run your finger around the channel and feel for anything that shouldn't be there.

When ours went, it was caused by the channel coming loose, and my brother in law winding the window up so that the top of the glass was sitting against the stainless bead of the channel. The pressure was such that it cracked diagonally overnight.

Cheers

Grant

Actually except for the two bolts up top near the vent post and the one bolt at the bottom of the channel track, everything was silicone glued in...no screws. I think it's the post adjusting screw.

Does anyone know if I should tighten it in plce when the window is up or down??

Thanks

Guest Grant Magrath

Leave the screws loose, and wind the window up and down, watching closely for any binding. Don't forget the vent window post attaches in three locations, and the top ones might be hard to get to now. Tighten one location at a time and check movement after each time. Patience is the key!

Cheers

Grant