Replace 322 with 364

Hello all!!<P>I have been considering an engine swap in my 55 Roadmaster. I have been thinking of installing a 401, But I have an opportunity to buy a 364. Will the 364 be a direct replacement for the 322? Will my Dynaflow bolt up without problems? Are the engine mounts identical?<P>Here is another question. I have been having trouble finding decent upper radiator tanks. I am considering a custom radiator, and maybe even an aluminum one at that.<P>Thanks,<P>Chris Thomas <A HREF="http://www.combustioninc.com" TARGET=_blank>www.combustioninc.com</A>

I got a 55...a Century ....I am most certain that the 2 are compatable.<BR> You wouldnt have a line or a p/antenna for a 55 would you???<BR> I believe motor mts are same too(bracket holes on block)<P> Drop me an E @ dlw29@hotmail.com<P> Thanks, don55

Chris, that 364 will not bolt into a '55. The bellhousing is completly different. The tranny from a '57 with a 364 may interchange so you could us the 364 that way. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

Old guy, you must not be THAT old smile.gif the 322 is the one with the larger bellhousing. The 364 401 and 425 are the same. the motor mounts are also different with only three bolts instead of the four on a 364, 401, 425. I think they will interchange by leaving the extra bolts out. <P>The Nailhead is one of the best motors ever and my favorite but the difficulty in swapping keeps a lot of people from them. You have to REALLY want to do it. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, here's another thing to consider if going to a 364/401/425 in an earlier 322/264 equipped car: The factory exhaust manifold on the driver's side has a bend in it that "wraps" around the the steering box for clearance. A taller decked engine (364, etc)is wider, and would give less clearance at the steering box. I don't know exactly how much the difference is, but it needs to be considered.And that's if you can swap a '54-56 manifold onto the bigger engines (I read in Street Rodder in their series a few years back that the ports between these families aren't the same, so you shouldn't swap exhaust manifolds, but I've never investigated it).