1949 Hudson Super Six Convertible

This 1949 Hudson Super Six just showed up a few days ago and I've spent some time getting to know it. It's not perfect, but it's a nice driver-quality car that runs very well. From what I can tell, only about 1870 of these were built, and those I've seen at auction are selling for shockingly big money. And when was the last time you saw one at a show?

Although the photos make it look otherwise, it is definitely bright fire-engine red, and while the paint was done some years ago, it still looks decent. There are a few signs that the car has been driven, but after a careful examination, I can find no significant body damage, rust, or questionable repairs anywhere. Most of the chrome has been refinished and the stainless was probably polished when the paint was done, so it all has a uniform look to it, with nothing too new or too aged to stand out. Experts will note that this car carries all the deluxe Commodore trim, but its serial number reveals it to be a Super Six, combining the best of both.

The red leather interior has some original and some new items. The seats have obviously been reupholstered in red leather, but it sure looks like the door panels and rear side panels in the back seat are original and in good condition. The driver's door panel needs some TLC, but could easily be put right (we may even do this ourselves). Carpets are also more recent, and I have to believe that the wooden dash face is not original. The car has been converted (why do they always do this?!?) to 12V, so while the speedo works, the other gauges sadly do not, although the generator idiot light appears to be hooked up properly. And for this same reason, the clock and radio do not work, but the top has a fresh 12V pump that works. The top itself is tan vinyl that's in good shape, with a clear rear window, and it goes up and down with a little manual assistance (that's a BIG top--this sucker's as big as the '48 Buick Roadmaster we have sitting next to it).

Mechanically, the engine is a later 308 cubic inch inline-six with Twin-H Power and an automatic transmission. It has been reasonably well detailed and runs superbly. Note the long-tube header and dual exhaust, which gives it a snarky engine note, and relative to just about anything else of the era, it's awfully fast. It fires quickly, the transmission shifts as it should (I believe it's a GM Hydramatic), and the brakes are firm.

A good car that needs just a little detailing to be great. Asking $44,900, and we're always open to offers. Thanks!

post-31138-143138981449_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138981453_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138981457_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313898146_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138981462_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138981465_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138981718_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138981722_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138981726_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138981729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
Updated model and engine information (see edit history)

Thanks to some feedback from Super Dave, it appears that this is a Super Six with Commodore trim and interior upgrades, and the engine is a 308 cubic inch unit, not a base 262.

Apologies for the confusion.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)