1941 Tires & White Wall Question

41Roadmaster

I'm about to buy new tires from my 1941-76C. I'm looking to purchase as close to original as possible. I thought I had this nailed down, but have recently heard differing opinions on what is correct for my make/model.

According to Bill Anderson's Restoration Facts;

-Series 60 & 70 have 15 X 700; 4 ply bias

-And the 15" tires have 4 1/8" wide white walls (versus 3 3/4"-4" for 16")

I've double-checked with Bill and his feels this is correct. Any other authorities care to weigh in before I spend the dough?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have stumbled onto an area of contention. Opinions are in 2 camps. The 4 1/8" white-wallers, and the 3 1/4" white-wallers.

After looking at what's available, and talking to a few of you I've ordered the US Royal, 4-ply bias, 710X15, 3 1/4" white walls. I've also ordered tubes for these for a more authentic look.

Thanks for all the feedback!

post-75951-143138984897_thumb.jpg

Edited by 41Roadmaster
-Miswrote 3 1/2", should be 3 1/4", Added image (see edit history)

Guest Earl

I have the 4 1/8" whitewalls on my '41 Century and they look fine to me. I do get tired of keeping them scrubbed clean, but that's just the way it goes with those things. And when I say the next set will NOT be whitewalls because I am tired of scrubbing them, I pretty much get told the car would look stupid to them without them. I don't think any of the tire cleaners work as good as the stuff they had 30 years ago. Maybe that old stuff had phosphates in it. All that aside, they do look good on the car.

Guest RM41

When I purchased my 41" 76c it had the 3 1/4" on it, I now have the 4 1/8" and the car really looks better with them. My understanding is the 41/8" is the correct width.

Kevin Moore

Central Ohio

41 76c

48 56c

• 2 weeks later...