Hi guys, you always seem to know what's the best approach so here's a few simple (?) questions-

1) interior touch up - color is colonial white. small nicks. I only see exterior paint online. Is there different interior paint ?

2) cigarette light is dead. Fuse is fine. most likely next step is replace it or its in the wiring ?

3) the aluminum (?) machined dash behind the instruments is fairly pitted and tarnished. What is entailed in replacing? Read somewhere that is it a job. i don't suppose anyone has a document or diagram exploding this to follow ?

Thanks !

Mark Hillman

Hi Mark,

Here are answers to your questions, at least from what I know. One of the T-Bird parts suppliers, CASCO, recommends using the vinyl dye they have for dying the padded dash on the '57 on all of the metal surfaces also. I think the paint is the same that was used on the exterior, but wouldn't swear to it. I think you will have a hard time matching the color since the paint has aged over the years and may have faded. It probably makes more sense to respray the areas that need new paint.

As for your cigarette lighter, I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like the lighter recepticle connects directly to the light switch. It is "hot" when the battery is connected. You will need to get underneath the dash with a probe type tester to see if you have power there. Touch the probe to the blue wire with the white strip and it should light up if you have the other end connected to a proper ground. If not, then you have a problem with either the light switch or the power coming to the light switch.

Replacing the engine turned metal on the dash is a bit of a chore. It is probably described best in Gil Baumgartner's T-Bird Restoration Manual, available from the Classic T-Bird Club International. www.ctci.org . If you aren't a member already it is well worth joining. One thing I can tell you for sure is to replace all the pieces across the dast, not just the one around the instruments. There will be a big difference between old and new.

• 3 months later...

Well, it took a while but did get to fixing the electrical system. You were correct the voltage regulator was bad and the generator was partially fried. I rebuilt the generator and replaced the voltage regulator. Charging system is working perfectly. Thanks for your help!

I'm on to the next items on my list...