LED lights in taillamps

Barney Eaton

I purchased some running/stop LED bulbs (devices) for my '39 thinking they would be a big improvement........

I could not get them to work.... it seemed like as I started them into the socket, the running light would light but when both contacts made, nothing worked.

I have seen some similar problems with LED and the new fluorescents,

example, I tried 7 volt night light LED's in a nightlight with a photocell and they would not work, but worked fine in a night light with a switch.

A similar problem with fluorescents screwed into sockets with photocells, some worked and others would not.

I have not contacted my electrical expert but I suspect these new devices are very sensetive to any power on the line.

I may need to install diodes in both + lines on the '39 to get these LED's to function correctly.

Do we have anyone here with experience?

Guest 47jag

Barney,

Since LEDs are polarity sensitive, have you tried reversing the polarity off car? The lamps that I have seen are dismantle-able with care and could be rewired to suit. I assume the '39 is positive ground/earth and most LEDs are designed for modern negative ground cars.

Art