1964 Riviera w/425 - need more power

I have a 1964 Riviera with a 425 nail-head single 4 barrel V8. Currently it's running somewhere in the low 15's. What can I do to add power without costing a fortune or without adding nitrous oxide. It is also used on the street on occasion, so I prefer not to totally mess up its daily driveability.<BR>Any advice is greatly appreciated.

A K-B Mark II or III cam, DEGREE IT IN and recurve the distributor to 425 dual four specs, install a good free flowing exhaust with a pair of Dynomax turbo mufflers. A stock Two Four manifold with a pair of 625 CFM Compitition AFB's would top it all off. Of course your rear gearing could have a huge effect.<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

Would my pistons (stock) handle the 1250 CFM of the twin carbs? Also, what can I do about my cylinder heads? I've heard of porting and polishing, but I think that costs a lot.<BR>My car only has 1 muffler in the rear (behind the axle), where both exhausts feed into and out of. I don't think Dynomax makes anything in that configuration.<BR>How can I check what kind of transmission I have? I have read that the 64 Riviera comes with TH350 or TH400. Which is true?

Yes Walker and many others make performace mufflers for your car. And the CFM on those carbs is the same as Buick had with the stock two fours, so yes there is no problem. They are on a progresive linkage so you open the second carb when the motor needs it. Forget the porting, unless the guy REALLY knows nailheads, he will ruin them! I know this is a blanket statement, but I have seen it too many times. The tranny is a ST400 nearly the same as the TH400 but it has a variable pitch torque converter, so you have two stall speeds. No headers that I know of.<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.