1947 Desoto Starter Question

Guest ranger0199

Guest ranger0199

Hi.

My dad has a 1947 Desoto with stock drive-train, inline 6. It is in need of a starter rebuild. I have a few questions:

1) What type of shop should I take it to, i.e., should any respectable auto shop be able to perform the starter rebuild?

2) How much money can I expect to pay?

Thanks.

Jason

Look in the phone book for auto electric shops or ask around your local mechanics, garages, etc.

There are auto electric shops everywhere. Most of them can rebuild your starter or generator. Phone first, some prefer not to mess with the real old stuff, or specialize in big trucks etc. but there should be someone who can help you.

As for the price there is no hard and fast rule but I would expect to pay $100 to $150 depending what it needs. You can ask beforehand, but on a starter that old, they may hesitate to give a firm price because you never know how bad it is until you take it apart. But if the starter was working until recently, it is not rusted or seized up, and the field coils and armature are still good, it should not be too expensive. In any case it will be cheaper than for a late model Caddy, Lincoln or Japanese luxury car and way cheaper than for a BMW or Mercedes