1931 Buick Windshield Wiper Motor

Guest soldier

Guest soldier

My wiper motor is not working. The motor was rebuilt several years ago, but has never worked well. A repair service tells me they to not recommend attempting repair for these motors. The motor is an RCX9 model, and the repair service says that the KCX9 was an update that worked much better. Can anyone offer additional information, or have KCX9 model for sale? Soldier

The major source for Trico wiper motot repair Is Ficken In New York. To the best of my knowledge, they will not rebuild the chrome plated wipers used on the Buicks. They will not sell repair parts either.

What is the problem with your wiper? You can perform some tests by running a vacuum line from the intake of a lawn mower or other small engine. If wiper cycles in one direction only. Th problem is in the switching mechanism. If it won't hold a vacuum, the wiper inside is leaking. Dirt or old grease will prevent them from working.

The mechanisms are fairly simple but are delicate and need good sealing on the gaskets and internal paddle.

Bob

Guest soldier

Bob, Ficken is the service that did not wish to try to repair my motor. The motor is not chrome plated, but is a model they say is not repairable because of parts availability, and possible swelling of the case. They recommend the KCX9 model, but admit they would be hard to find. Thanks for the reply, Soldier

If the unit is not working, and you can't find a rebuilder for it, why not tackle it yourself. They are not a complex mechanism. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning. The most likely problem is the seal on the moving paddle.

Bob

One of the fixes I found that works if it is just vacuum leaking by the paddle which is the case most of the time is to squirt a little gear lube inside the intake vacuum port, This will lube the felts on the paddle and act as a sealer too.

I have done it on a few of the Packards I own and they still work perfect after 15 years.

Its worth a try and its cheap.