Marval carbureter float

Guest Darryl

Guest Darryl

I rebuilt the Marval carbureter on my 23 Buick last year. About 3 months ago I started having a problem with the carbureter flooding, fuel leaking out the air intake, when the engine is not running, even for a short time. I have a shut off valve where the fuel enters the fuel bowl which I now turn off before I turn off the engine.

I sealed the cork float with KWIK POLY, when I rebuilt the carbureter, but I think it may haved failed and the cork may be saturated. I have no problems when the engine is running.

To make a long story short, does anyone sell brass floats to replace the cork or should I get new cork and start all over again?

I have not seen brass tak floats listed by any parts suppliers for the Marvel carbs. I have seen several brass floats soldered onto the arm for marvels. The bowl is an odd shape. If you use the cork, seal the cork, attach it to the arm and seal the arm attachment area again. Crazy glue, POR15 and model airplane dope are commonly used to seal the floats.

Bob

The Standard Company DID produce a brass float for your carburetor as part of their Hygrade carburetor parts line in the 1930's. These brass floats are quite scarce. I have seen less than half a dozen in the almost 40 years we have been in the carburetor business.

Other than this one, I am unaware of anyone producing a brass float for Marvel carbs.

Jon.

Guest outlaw car man

I think I would do as Bob suggested, make your own, actually fairly simple.

I have three 1933 Marvels, one with a brass float on my black 90, one with cork on my green 90 and one as a spare. Also have 3 spare corks in case.

My cork ones are covered in airplane dope, one I repaired with super glue as a covering- POR15 can get real nasty and fairly $$$, all will work.

No idea where the brass float came from-

Good luck,

OCM

The Hygrade float was listed by Hygrade to replace Marvel float number 30-504 used on 1916~1928 Buicks. Here are a couple of pictures:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Marvel_brass_float_1.jpg

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Marvel_brass_float_2.jpg

Note the different thickness from front to back on the side picture. This float, in addition to being more reliable than the cork, has more buoyancy, as the original Marvel float was the same thickness throughout. The Hygrade float displaces more fuel than the original.

Jon.