66 Skylark "L76 Hi Perf Pilot Car"

RARE RARE RARE<BR>This car is the only known survivor of L76 Pilot program. Approx 50 Skylark GS's, built by Buick skunk works in 66 to build Buick perf image in competition with 3 deuce GTO, SS396, 442, etc on dragstrips of So Calif. Was not to be sold to general public. This car was delivered to Terry Buick, Huntington Beach, CA. the owners wife, Alice Terry, so liked the car that she titled it in her own name and kept it for 21 years (42k miles). I have every annual CA registration renewal. Still has 74 CA Hwy Patrol windshield sticker. As far as is known all remaining of the 50 were dismantled and crushed after evaluation. Have original build sheet showing delivery to Terry Buick and stating "L76 Hi Perf Eng". "L76 PILOT" is typed in at the bottom and "Spec build #106" written under.The word PILOT is written in bold a second time above with marker. Buick to this day does not admit to having ever built an "L76". This is a stunning, un-abused, very fast, show car having taken Best of Class in American Performance Class at prestigious 2000 Arthritis Assoc Concours d'Elegance at Ault Park, Cinti, OH. Car can be viewed at their website. <A HREF="http://www.ohioconcours.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ohioconcours.com</A> Go to Results of Previous Years at bottom of page and follow link to 2000 and American Performance. You'll never see another one.Red/Black, Auto, Mint Undercarriage, Est'd 360HP. Build Sheet, Broadcast Sheet $15,750 Firm...For some reason I wasn't able to log in as normal but can be reached at edwardf@fngltd.com....Thanks, Ed

If you don't mind my asking, where did you find the build sheet on this car? I haven't been able to find mine. Also, would you consider sending a copy to Duane in the nailhead or paper trail sections of this site? He is trying to decode these sheets for us, and I think yours would be of singular interest to all of us 66 owners. Thanks, Dan

I'm not sure what the exact performance mods were as I've not been able to find ANY OFFICIAL INFO FROM BUICK on this "L76" engine. The only mention of anything special was in the April '66 issue of Hot Rod Magazine where they stated that "a limited number of so-called 'police specials', Gran Sports with 11:1 pistons, high lift cams and Quadrajet carburetion" were built as Buick image cars. They summed up by saying "the idea is on the right track, so let's hope it doesn't get switched onto a siding to rot." I've tried to get info on this forum in the past but no one had ever heard of this L76 designation...Any info would be greatly appreciated. As far as a copy of the build sheet goes, it has a dark oil stain across about the top third, so just shows up unreadable on copies. The original is very readable and I suppose I could get a scan if someone was really interested. In addition to the info in my original post, you might be interested to know that in block #27 on the Build Sheet under ENG "RM" is crossed out and "PZ" typed under. Car was built in Fremont on 2/21/66 and still has original CA smog pump.In answer to the previous question, I don't know where the Build Sheet was originally stuffed, Alice Terry saved it and kept it with the car's records.......Thanks for the replies...Let me know if any other questions...Ed Finke

No disrespect intended Ed, but the burden of proof is entirely on you.<P>The fact that Buick would build a high performance car in the one ond only state that had just started requiring emissions control equipment strikes me as strange.<P>Are there any exterior modifications that would make this car appear unique?<P>If you could come up with SOMETHING to support your claim, great; otherwise, you have a nice Skylark for sale....

No disrespect taken Yellowlark....But two key points #1 The dragstrips of California were THE ideal place to build an "image" in the 60's. All other manufacturers required the same emissions, so the playing field would have been level. #2, and even more important, the Build Sheet DOES state "L76 Hi-Perf Pilot Car" and "Spec Build".They put that on the sheet for some reason...Whatever you or Buick say I couldn't make that up... I'm not trying to gouge anyone or "invent" a story for my car. I wanted to give Buick guys a chance at it for a VERY fair price. This is a Concours winning car against some of the best of all makes in the Midwest. The GTO Judge convertible it beat, won Meadowbrook the previous year. Without the history it is a fair price. The unique story, WITH Build Sheet and Alice Terry ownership history is simply icing on an already incredible cake....If this was a Chevelle SS or GTO with this quality and history it would be $50k plus...To tell you the truth, I hope I don't sell it....Just trying to keep peace around the house....Too many toys....Ed

Guest John Chapman

YellowLark...<P>Youse east coast guys underestimate and discount the size of the California new car market. We are the seventh (or 13th, depending on who's figures you use) largest economy in the world.<P>It is absolutely logical that manufacturers would create special production runs just for a market segment...the GS California comes immediately to mind. In fact, during the early years of emissions control, there existed CA cars and '49 State' cars.<P>Historically, California has accounted for close to ten percent of US new auto sales. Southern California can claim a substantial proportion of the California total. In the heyday of the muscle car boom in SoCal manufacturers and dealer associations both fielded special factory runs of high performance cars. Given that this all occurred before sophisticated computer data storage, I don't find it unlikely that there would be no records of a special run. If I recall correctly, Buick discarded all production information prior to the mid-70's.<P>To really appreciate the fervor with which automotive performance was persued in SoCal and the resulting market, just pick up five or six period performace car publications and look at where the aftermarket manufacturers were, where the drag strips were and where the majority of road tests took place. While most drag strips are now gone, there were at least a dozen major strips in the LA basin in the 1960s (Orange County, LA, Pomona...)<P>A win on Sunday sold cars on Sunday night!<P>JMC

If memory serves me correctly, it was also in California that Buick first unwrapped a 1970 GS 455 with the Stage 2 engine, where it reportedly took on Pontiac's GTO Ram Air V. Perhaps someone can add to the story, but John is absolutely correct about the California market.

Guest Skyking

Yellowlark, a close friend of mine just shipped a 1970 Chevelle LS-6 with 24.6 miles on the odometer to LasVagas for auction. The reserve is just under 1/4 million. They predict it will go over the reserve........

Hi-Ed-I remember email with you when you bought this car. You must have quite the stable as I would have thought that this would have been a "keeper"-Dan Mpls. Mn.

Hi Dan...I remember our correspondence a couple years ago and appreciate your help at that time...You're right, this car really is a keeper and I'm probably going pull it off the market as my heart really isn't in selling it...Two kids in college this year get your attention when tuition time rolls around though...My other car is a 1960 NASCAR T-Bird..The only known '60 survivor. Set up to '60 Grand National Specs....Manual Steering / Brakes, 3 on the tree, Heavy Duty NASCAR suspension, 352 solid lifter / approx 400HP...Car can be seen at the same website as above <A HREF="http://www.ohioconcours.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ohioconcours.com</A> go to 2001 photos / results then to Racing Div... Car took a 1st Place in the 2001 Concours...Problem is I would rather sell the Bird than the GS but it is a more expensive car and would probably be harder to sell...Just trying to keep my wife happy.. Best regards....Ed

Guest John Chapman
shocked.gif" border="0 Selling cars to keep the female spousal unit happy is the first step down a long and slippery slope into indentured servitude. Give 'em an inch and next it'll be the pickup, the guns, the TV set, the garage/shop beer cooler, Thursday afternoon ball games and the sports pages. And forget the occasional night out with the boys to shoot pool... you'll be giving pedicures... grin.gif" border="0

Hey guys....I've come to my senses...THE CAR IS NO LONGER FOR SALE....Just returned from driving it and decided I would kick myself for the rest of my life if I had sold it at that price...Just too good of a car!...My wife will get over it...She knew what she was getting into when she married me 25 years ago ..Hell, I had four cars then... Only three now....That's some improvement right?...Keep smiling and driving those Buicks....Ed

Thanks, wildcat2!!!...I was getting real tired of all the "experts" I talked to about the "L76" over the last several years accusing me of making all this up... Best regards....Ed

Guest John Chapman

Ed~~<P>Kinda like the 'experts' that deny there were ever 'spiked' factory GTOs running in SoCal with factory-tweaked 3x2 421's in place of the stock 389. Visually identical, but gave nice numbers to the press during road tests...<P>JMC