Series 116 Saloon

Guest Fuimus

Guest Fuimus

I recently acquired a collection of cars that includes a 1925 Dodge Brothers Series 116 Saloon, 1917 Model T Turtleback, 1930 Model A Roadster and 1966 Mustang Convertible. All the cars need some "rolling restoration" work (which I am busy with) to enable them to return to the road.

The Model T still has original leather seats (dry but in good condition) and paintwork (scuffed but good)!! I do not intend to change this status. This car has been in a museum for decades and led the Vintage Car Parade at the Johannesburg Centenary Celebrations in 1986.

The Dodge was registered as a "built up" in 2004 following restoration, which in South Africa means that it is eather a replica or that the original chassis number is not available. Through this forum, I learned where to find this information and believe it or not, there is a plate screwed to the Toe Board with a number that matches the number stamped on the "outside right frame just back from the front spring rear mounting bracket".

This number is A 970 - 178.

The Engine number is 1023 - 515

Both were difficult to read as the stamping is well worn with age. Can anyone please help with information based on these numbers.

Regards

The chassis number which you quote would, I think, put the date of manufacture somewhere towards the end of 1927. Unfortunately, the production records, as shown in the Dodge Brothers instruction manual do not go up to the date of your car. It does appear, however, that the engine and chassis are from the same date, so at least you know that much. The 116 number refers to the wheelbase and these models were known as '6 volt, 2 unit' which means that the starter and generator are separate 6 volt units. (previous models had a single 12 volt starter/generator).

Other forum contributors will be able to say when the "fast four" came out but what I can say is that engines after 950,000 have a 'D' designation - They have 5 bearing crankshafts; 5 bearing camshafts; 4 point suspension;single plate clutch, chain drive "front end"; and an improved transmission . Hope some of this helps. All the best,

Ray.

Guest Fuimus

Thank you Ray and Jason.

I have relooked at the car and can confirm now that with your assistance, it is in fact a Series 128 (108" wheel base) Fast Four with what I assume is a standard SAE shift pattern gearbox.

Regards

Brian